Kayak Outriggers

Builder show and discuss their progress.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Kayak Outriggers

Post by goanywhere »

Hi all, finally get a chance to start on my outriggers. This is a learning project before I start on my Sobalo. I managed to mark out, cut and fair the side panels for one outrigger. Not too hard but I've never worked with plywood before so it was a bit of a learning curve. Things I learned:
  • Measure twice! I made a mistake on my first measurement (what a goose!) I misread the measuring marks on my square. Fortunately I picked it up when I double checked.

Learning to steer the jigsaw. Luckily I left about 10mm between the panel cutouts. When I first started cutting with the jigsaw I found it tended to steer right. On closer inspection I found that the blade wasn't fitted properly. I didn't cross the line but I came close. Once I adjusted the blade it was smooth sailing from there.

Love the Supercraft plane. The multi tooth plane made fairing the panels a breeze. Didn't need to sand much at all.
I will hopefully get to cut out the 'deck' panel tomorrow and then start with the stitching and gluing of the panels.

Image Image Image
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
goanywhere

Re: Kayak Outriggers

Post by goanywhere »

Tonight I got some more building happening. I managed to stitch the hull of the first outrigger and tack the bulkhead in place. I know it's only an outrigger but I'm quite happy with how it's turning out. I wanted to try out my idea to tack the bulkhead with plastic glue, and I've got to say it works really well. I only needed a few dabs of glue to hold it securely in place ready for tacking the hull hopefully tomorrow.

Pics below.

Stitched flat. I used tile spacers and the smallest cable ties I could find.

Detail of the stitching.

The hull with the bulkhead fitted.

Detail of the plastic glue tacks holding the bulkhead.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

This was a long weekend and today was a holiday, so I got some more time in the garage to do some more on the pontoons. Today was my first attempt at tacking and filleting with epoxy and filler.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm using this project to learn on. Firstly I mixed way too much epoxy for my job, then it took heaps of filler to get it to the right consistency, although I think I had it just right, about the consistency of soft mashed potato.

Then came the hard bit. The profile of the hulls is a very deep 'v', so I couldn't line the inside with masking tape as is the usual way. Instead I used packing tape on the outside and tacked it from the inside. Even then it was not easy, I could only just get my finger down far enough to be able to squeeze the mixture into the gap. The first few had me with epoxy mixture all over the place. I couldn't work out how to get the glue down right into the gap, so I used my cooking experience. I got a 'glad' plastic storage bag, snipped off the corner to leave a small openning and scooped enough of the goop into the bag to let me pipe it into the join. After the first few I got the knack, but it still wasn't real pretty.

Anyway I finally got it done and it doesn't look too bad. The nights are quite cold now where I live, so I brought the job inside to cure overnight.

The real fun is going to be creating a nice fillet along the inside of the seam, but I think it will be ok, appart from having to use a bit more epoxy than would be ideal. (At least it will be strong!)

You can notice the clear packing tape on the outside. At least the outside will be neat.
I filleted over the plastic glue I used to tack the bulkhead in place. Not a problem. This could save me time with my Sobalo build.
Looks easier to get down into there than it is.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Those sharp crevices are tough. You either have to fill them with lots of material or use something like a syringe or "frosting bag" method to get down in there.

Applying fiberglass down there won't be fun either.

But you only have to do it one time. That makes it ok, right....? :?
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Yes, I'm thinking of pre wetting the tape and pushing it down into there with a strip of wood or plastic ruler or something. It might be a bit messy but nobody's going to be looking in there once it's all finished.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

If you can, brush on the epoxy onto the fillet and wood and then apply the glass. Easier... if you can get a brush down in that crevice.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Thanks, good idea, I think I have an old long handled paint brush I can use for that. I can rinse it in some acetone I have so I won't lose it either. Cheers.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Looking good.
Try using a flat fitch brush to get the epoxy into the narrow sections and probably push the glass in with it also

Cheers Mike
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Thanks Mike, yes, good tip.

The design is deliberate, I wanted a deep profile and narrow streamlined hull so that the outriggers would sit reasonably deep in the water, that way I hopefully won't need lee or centre boards for sailing my yak. But that design does come with a potential downside when building it. Still, this will be the hardest bit of the whole build so nothing to complain about.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Get them mounted straight and parallel or you'll be going no where fast! :lol:
-Matt. Designer.