NT Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Re: NT Trapper

Post by Whirly »

G'day Chuck,
Without the tape , slower and a lot more work to keep the fillet uniform yep, looks like that'll be me. :roll:
Will get the sanding done inside and a saturation coat down, then see how we go.....
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Well, it's been awhile since I posted any reports of progress, but things have been ticking over slowly. Doing a bit when I can. I used an icing syringe to put the fillets in the inside, and that worked out alright. Sanded down the fillets in the bow and stern areas and glassed those places. I was then able to fit the decks and continue with the inwales.

As the gunwales are there for strength, and the holes are mostly there for drainage when the boat is turned over, I thought “more wood, less holes”.

I wasn’t really chuffed with the contrast between the dark hull ply and the pale gunwales, so decided to lay a strip over the top, and I’m pleased with how it is turning out.

Front deck

Rear deck.

Stern

I didn’t really want a hole through the hull for tethering or towing, so had to come up with a different idea

For my thwarts, I’ve used Jarrah, and had decided back when I first saw how big this boat is, that sailing could be a definite possibility in the future, (and I bought a set of plans for outriggers) so am shaping the thwarts with the idea of using them to lash the outrigger arms to.

so, I'm just about out of the 'interesting' bits and it'll soon be back to sanding inside, so I can glass tape the joins. Really looking forward to getting this baby wet.
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Very nice Whirly. Keep the pictures comming.
Bob
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Any chance of some pics of bow eye treatment........... is that timber bit you show sloted over bow eye?
Cheers paul
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

I was wandering the same thing the last pic just cuts off the installed bow eye, but sure its as Bemm mentioned. Lookin real good.

MM
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Yes Fellas, I cut a block of Jarrah to fit over the bow and chiselled a slot to accommodate the eye bolt. The bolt goes through the resin dam in the bows and has a nut screwed on the back, so should be plenty strong. I coated the bolt and the covering piece of Jarrah with resin/flour glue and stuck it all together, so even more strength for the eye bolt.

A bit more shaping and sanding, an it’ll be done.......
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Hey Whirly
You gone walkerbout ?
Wazzappening... wazzup ?
Col
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

G'Day Col,

It's still happening, but things have slowed down some. I've been doing a bit on the inside seams and should be able to glass them soon. Lots of other stuff happening to drag me away from the build. New staff member to get orientated (and there are a hell of a lot of places to show him), burning program implemented, budget to be sorted, a trip away with the Army to instruct on Survival, up to Darwin to visit No.2 daughter with my first grandchild and blacksmithing a lot (which includes making up a new forge as my last one is kaput), to do up a wedding present for No.1 daughter who is getting married this month......
....so the Trapper is slowly, slowly, but I'll post pics when there is more to see

Cheers,
Whirly
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Ha, good to hear it hasn't been chopped up and burnt ! I guess you have the loooooong miles up there to contend with too.
And, the canoe is not the main event, is it.
I'm still trying to make some wooden paddles, but other stuff gets in the way
Onya
Col