Strip Built Okwata Maiden Voyage

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Strip Built Okwata Maiden Voyage

Post by craiggamesh »

I couldn't wait! We had to try the Okwata out before the final coatings of the epoxy/graphite mix. So, the person that I am building it with, and soon to be proud new owner, came over with his son and we loaded some boats on the trailer. As with all maiden voyages of boats I have built, this one took place on the Tualatin River. It is easy because it is less than 2 miles from my door step to the launch and the water is always smooth.

Because there were three of us, I had to use the entire stable of JEMS. We didn't have a seat for the Okwata yet so, a couple chunks of closed cell foam were an adequate substitute. Here is a shot from the Sabalo of the new Okwata(on left) and the Touring Pirouge.

Another couple shots of a couple of strippers:

And when I was piloting the Okwata on the way back to the launch, I got a shot of the Sabalo:

We even had the interest of a local raccoon.

I have to say, the Okwata is a dream to paddle. I am glad I read Mick's review of it and it more than lives up to my expectations. It is easy to get moving and it moves fast. It also seems to glide forever. I used the Greenland paddle I carved when I paddled her. What a pleasure that was. The paddle weighs about 24 ounces and it didn't feel like I was working at all and I was zipping right along. I bet I could easily paddle 25 miles (or more) in a day with this boat and that paddle. I haven't weighed it yet, but she is easy to throw onto a shoulder and carry down to the beach.

This one will be tough to let go of. :cry: This is the first boat I have ever built for someone else.

Thanks Matt!
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Re: Strip Built Okwata Maiden Voyage

Post by Phishtech »

I tell you what, that Okwata of yours is just about the most beautiful boat I've ever laid eyes on. Even the bottom looks great, that's why I hate to hear you're putting the graphite on. Your workmanship is stunning to say the least. I just finished my TV and I wouldn't even put it next to yours.
Great work !!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Great report! Can't wait to see some more close-up pictures.
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Phishtech wrote:I tell you what, that Okwata of yours is just about the most beautiful boat I've ever laid eyes on. Even the bottom looks great, that's why I hate to hear you're putting the graphite on. Your workmanship is stunning to say the least. I just finished my TV and I wouldn't even put it next to yours.
Great work !!
Thanks for the compliments phishtech.

The bottom was marine ply. We used that because I figured it would be easier to bend in the front and rear. It also sped up the build. I like strip bottoms, but once you use them a couple times they are all scratched up anyways. So, I started using the graphite/epoxy mix. I like that it and is a harder, more durable finish. Not as pretty though. :( It is also a good indicator of wear. I have it on my Sabalo and it helps me tell when I am starting to wear the ends down.
Last edited by craiggamesh on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Craig
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

jem wrote:Great report! Can't wait to see some more close-up pictures.
I will have to take it outside in the sun for the final shots before it goes to its new home.
Regards,

Craig