SS@G Northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: SS@G Northwind

Post by tx river rat »

I believe I lite a fire under my buddy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Did a little rigging on the NW today ,
Jacked the seat up to 8 inches

I will try that height out tomorrow .
Drilled holes for my rod holders and trolling holders

Trolling or drifting they will be in this position.

Transporting like this

I like the rods in front of me so I can see if they snag on anything.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Took the NW for another stroll a couple days ago , slimed her a little more .
The 8 inch seat height is still as stable as a rock and super comfortable.
The rod holders worked great.
It was very windy ,lake white capping and she just plowed on through ,no hull slap and the wind didnt seem to bother her much.
If someone tells you that you need a short boat to fish creeks , dont believe them I ran up in a creek a long ways and turned her around , creek was about 18 ft wide ,no problem.
I am still a happy camper with this boat.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Did about ten miles in the NW today ,just a paddle and playing with her.
Stock in this boat just keeps going up.
I paddled up a section of the Brazos that I normally have to get out and walk in two places, shallow and rocky and a fast current. I never stepped out of the boat, the round shape sure helps in that kind of water.
When I turned around and started back down ,I was grinning from ear to ear
with a good steady stroke I was covering some miles quick. The NW is very deceptive ,she is so stable and smooth you dont think your moving all that fast until you look at the bank
and it is rapidly slipping bye ,
I LIKE HERRRRRRRRR
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

The Lady bug is gone so it is time to start finishing up the Northwind.
I tried a seat but it was to low ,so I built another base , front of the seat is at 11 inches ,that gives me a pretty good size box under the front for sponges and etc.

Also built a place in back of seat for drinks and etc

I have been ask a couple times just how I mount my seats so I am going to go through the processed

I cut two strips , these are 5/8 eide by 2 inches tall ,space them
and drill holes on 6 inch centers, then glass to the floor and bulkheads

I normally use a 2+4 standing on edge ,cut my groove with a table saw and cut the nothes for adding the seat support. You can see the shape in this pic

This seat is pretty tall but you just have to find the height you need and adapt it for your boat

I use two pins and a bunji to hold them in place

I like this set up ,it braces the floor I am able to remove the seat or secure it with a lot of adjustment for different loads.
Ron
Got to go paddle it tomorrow so I can see if I am to high.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

I like that idea Ron

I have some seats to mount in my Wadefish & am looking for a way to do it.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Pete I have it in a couple boats ,it seems to work well.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

The 11 inch high seat worked great ,still plenty stable and super comfortable.
The only problem I had was when my grand daughter and I were paddling tandem ,we both were paddling in time and when we both got a good bite with the paddle on the same side it made the boat a little squirely

If paddled tandem I would drop the seat 2 inches, oh with 2 paddlers she will flyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

lol.... now you know why they call tandems "divorce boats". It takes some cooperation to get it right but when you do... look out!

Kruger Canoes has a 18' x 36" version of their Sea Wind (Kruger Cruiser). Maybe one day I'll draw up a version. But for short day trips, it look like you got it right! :D
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt
This boat has full 5 ft decks , I bet you could shorten them to 3 ft and leave most of the front deck open on the bottom for the front paddlers feet. That would give you an 11 ft cockpit . I bet that would be a sweet tandem.
Ron