Stripped NorthWind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Stripped NorthWind

Post by OnkaBob »

Darrells wrote: I am getting pretty excited about paddling this boat.
I think that makes about 20 or 30 of us Darrell :lol:

Thanks for that strap link 8)
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

Went out after work and gave the boat a quick sanding to rough up the epoxy a little so the Varnish will adhere better.

I shot the first coat of varnish about 6:15 and will probably give it a second about 8:00.

It's getting mighty close to paddle time. :mrgreen:
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Second coat is on. I'll let it dry all day tomorrow and give it a light sanding when I get home. If it is early enough for it to skin over before dark I will shoot another coat on, if not I'll wait until Thurs. morning. The bugs are pretty bad once it gets dark. It's looking pretty good, only got a couple of bugs this evening before it skinned over. It was 112* in the shop when I shot it so it didn't take long to start setting up.

Darrell Sykora
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Darrells wrote: It's looking pretty good
I believe it might just be a bit of "understatement" there.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Mike
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Matt,
What do you know about this product from Duckworks: Sea-Lect TruCourse™ Rudder
I know you designed the Rudder Gudgeons, but is the rudder assemble a quality product. I don't care about the blade, I am going to make a wood composite blade to match the NW. I do like the fact that even drifting backwards the rudder will tuck under if it hits something.
Darrell Sykora
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

It's a good system. It's not bullet proof but it should serve you well.

Duckworks asked me to design a couple do-it-yourself rudder system at one time. But for the money, I think Sea-Lect is a very good value.
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

It's plenty warm in the shop this afternoon.

Gave the boat a quick light sanding with 320 grit.

I sprayed another fairly heavy coat on, and it was looking great. I was thinking this might be it, no bugs, no dust, no trash and slick as glass. Then I walked around to the other side and there it was, the biggest run you have ever seen. Oh well, I'll give it another sanding and another coat. :roll:

Darrell Sykora
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Boy that is looking great , You are going to be finished with yours before I will :shock:
Ron
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Varnish is done and I am going to start rigging tomorrow. Took a few tries to get the varnish down without any bugs or too much dust but it finally worked out.

I think I am going to run the hatch straps a little different than normal. What do think?

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

She is 99.375% finished. Tomorrow we paddle. :mrgreen:

Darrell Sykora