Foam WYE 13-6

Builder show and discuss their progress.
texarican
Type of boat I like: pirogues and SOTs

Foam WYE 13-6

Post by texarican »

Starting a new project this weekend to replenish my fleet. I've been wanting to build a boat with the blue foam panels from Lowes for a long time. Seeing the one ReelBigReel did pushed me over the edge. So, I sold the last pirogue I built and determined to come up with a family fleet. I want something sleek yet stable and set up for solo fishing. That one will be a SOT that I have designed (in my head). However, the first order of business is to build another boat that will allow me to paddle with my daughter or solo. Eventually, I hope my wife and daughter will paddle it so stability is the top priority. Matt came through with the drawings just as quick as I requested them and I got started Friday night.

Cutting and layout could not be more simple. In fact, with my back aching after drawing all the lines, I called in a helper to handle the utility knife.

This foam can be a little ornery at times though. For no apparent reason, it might ball up or tear out during a cut. The best thing you can do is stop immediately and cut from the other direction. Go slow and make several light passes. Most of our cuts were very clean. One tip I discovered is that applying a little pressure with a ball point pen while marking the layout lines helps tremendously. It puts a slight groove in the foam that the utility knife tends to follow.
Here you can see the method I used on the curves. It was nice to be able to just push in some finish nails by hand and then clamp my batten to them.

First panel is done and I've cut out all the parts. My back is sore and I'm not setting any artificial deadlines on this one. Just taking my time and trying to avoid mistakes. I'll be glassing the interior side of the panels before assembly with 6oz. Then I plan to run biaxial tape on the fillets. I'm on track to glass up the first panels this weekend but I'm taking my kid fishing first!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Foam WYE 13-6

Post by tx river rat »

Just a suggestion
put your glass on the out side of the bends in the foam ,that lets you compress the foam instead of trying to tear it when you make the bends,less likely to have a fracture that way.
Ron
texarican

Post by texarican »

tx river rat wrote:Just a suggestion
put your glass on the out side of the bends in the foam ,that lets you compress the foam instead of trying to tear it when you make the bends,less likely to have a fracture that way.
Ron
Thanks Ron, that's a good idea. This foam is pretty flexible with nothing on it. I was planning to glass the inside of the bottom panel first, the way makenmend did his wood version. Then I want to see how the stuff bends with one side glassed before I do any other panels. Anyway, this design does not have any extreme curves. Should go pretty easy.

I should take a moment for a disclaimer since I did not tell Matt I was going to use foam when I asked for these plans. I'm guessing there might be some tweaking necessary since my panels are over twice the thickness of the intended plywood. This is all my own doing and if it does not work, then it was a fun experiment.

Here is the WYE 13-6! Two 3s, four 2s, four 4s, four 5s, 1A and 1B. I got all the layout done with only one goof up but it did not cost me any material so I'm pretty happy. Tomorrow evening I'll clean up the space to start glassing!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Looking forward to see how the build goes.

It will be interesting to see what the whole boat weighs when you are finished.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'll second the notion that it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Please detail how you address the seams: Are you going to fill them in with a foam strip?
-Matt. Designer.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

following this with great interest.

MM
texarican

Post by texarican »

jem wrote:I'll second the notion that it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Please detail how you address the seams: Are you going to fill them in with a foam strip?
Won't really know until I get there. Today I'll splice together the panels that need it and glass. After that, I plan to tack the whole boat together with duck tape and see what tweaking I need to do. Perhaps some panels will need a bevel on the edge? Who knows?
texarican

Post by texarican »

jem wrote:I'll second the notion that it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Here is what I've done on the SOT.
On the interior I did a really thick fillet topped with the 6" tape so I'm confident my seams are really strong.
This is what the exterior looks like.
A couple of scary passes with the belt sander and it looks like this.
Then a good half hour of foam sanding sponges, followed by a fairing mix to fill any remaining gaps.

I'm still not sure what I'll do on the WYE as the angles are all different. By the way, what does WYE stand for?
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Just reading you posts again & was wondering if you tried wetting your knife :?:

I know when cutting rubber a little bit of lubrication in the form of water or soapy water makes the job a lot easer.
texarican wrote:
This foam can be a little ornery at times though. For no apparent reason, it might ball up or tear out during a cut. The best thing you can do is stop immediately and cut from the other direction. Go slow and make several light passes. Most of our cuts were very clean. One tip I discovered is that applying a little pressure with a ball point pen while marking the layout lines helps tremendously. It puts a slight groove in the foam that the utility knife tends to follow.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Wild Yak Example ?

Cheers Mike