Roger's s&g northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Roger's s&g northwind

Post by rodot »

After much procrastinating I have finally started my northwind. I've searched around and found some 3 and 4mm gaboon ply, but I have to admit that after close inspection, I'm not overly impressed with the quality. None the less I should be able to work around the shoddy bits. Next time I will take Ron's advise and go stripping.

The plans look great but with lots of cutting and little bits to join together. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
I have already cut the bottom hull panels out of 4mm ply. The frames and jigs I have cut out of left over pink ply and now I am starting on the 3mm ply. A question to Matt. On sheet 1.1 is there a measurement from the forward end of deck A, to the end of the panel?

I'll start posting piccies when I get around to stiching things together.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Roger's s&g northwind

Post by tx river rat »

You are going to love this boat.
Ron
rodot

Post by rodot »

I have been watching the progress of your boat Ron, and Darrells. They will certainly be a hard act to follow.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Roger
Every time I paddle this boat I fall more in love with it.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

rodot wrote:A question to Matt. On sheet 1.1 is there a measurement from the forward end of deck A, to the end of the panel?
yes and it should be 4" [102]. Sorry about that.
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

I have finally finished cutting out and splicing all the panels for the Northwind. For this boat I used a Japenese Pull Saw and found it is really so much easier, neater and more accurate than using a Jig Saw. I could cut right up to the lines with no splintering and just a quick once over with a sanding block to bring it to the middle of the pencil line. :D

I have done my best to be as accurate as possible and the QA's all check out but there sure are a lot of panels. I just hope that when I stitch it up it turns out to be a boat and not some wierd form of modern scupture.

I had to move the panels so I could get a boat out of the shed so I thought I would take the opportunity for a photoshoot.

Well next week I guess the fun starts when I start stitching everything together. I'm more than a bit apprehensive about that.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

rodot wrote: I just hope that when I stitch it up it turns out to be a boat and not some wierd form of modern scupture.
wait... you wanted a boat? oh oh .....
-Matt. Designer.
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

rodot wrote: For this boat I used a Japenese Pull Saw
What size/style pull saw is best for this, Roger?

Cheers Mike
rodot

Post by rodot »

What size/style pull saw is best for this,
I am not an expert on pull saws and I really would like the opinion of others. There is such a great variety and this is a topic that interests me.

My choice of saw was largely limited by what was available to me at the time. The one I found had fine teeth and a stiff spine for about 3/4 of the way down the back. I used it at a very shallow angle and applied little force allowing mostly the wieght of the saw to do the work. Although the saw has a stiff spine the blade was flexible enough to easily follow the shape of the panels. When the curves were extreme I just used short strokes with the tip of the saw where there is no spine.

I was reluctant to buy a double sided saw with fine teeth one side and course the other because I thought that the course teeth on the back of the blade might damage the sheets as I cut them. I have since been advised however that this is not the case because evidently there is no set in the teeth of a japanese pull saw. I hope my answer hasn't confused you too much.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Just a minor deviation from topic to put in my choice of pull saw -

For those in Aus have a look at the Z Saw range on the Carbatec web site. I bought the cross cut flexible carpenter's saw because it was reasonably priced (cheap?) and I was pleasantly surprised. I have done stacks of work with it and it is the only saw I have been able to cut accurately with - ever! It was starting to become dull but now definitely needs a new blade because I used it to find a staple in a door that needed trimming :roll: but replacement blades are available.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/crosscut-fle ... -saw_c5730

I believe this brand is available overseas as well but don't know of the sources.

I later bought the general purpose saw which is better for ripping and that is a good one too.

Normal programming will now resume.... :D
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.