TV 15-29 strip build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Re: TV 15-29 strip build

Post by woodman »

The last panels in place and ready for glass...
woodman

Post by woodman »

Got the cloth on and letting it set for a day...the epoxy just arrived what timing...I have been making my own squeegees from plastic laminate with a strip of 1/4''ply screwed to each side...
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Hull looks good in raw timber - should be great when glassed 8) .

Just a little concerned about that squeegee - it looks like there are sharp serrations around the edge - or is it just reflections? If they are serrated it might pay to check that they won't snag the cloth. If you start applying epoxy and find all your squeegees are catching on fibres then it could be a bit messy (and panicky too).
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
woodman

Post by woodman »

No it is smooth this is the 4th boat I will have done using this type. I radius the corners...small strips of laminate can be sanded into whatever radius needed for doing fillets also...
woodman

Post by woodman »

Well got the glass on this morning....The shiny spot down the keel is the left over oz. of epox. I just spread on instead of throwing out...Their is no strip color layout.. it's pretty ugly in that respect...and it took all of 1 beam to get the hull done....
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Your going to like that boat
Ron
woodman

Post by woodman »

I think so to Ron it reminds me of my first build.
My first boat the 14' tandem had a bottom panel that was 25'' wide and at the 4'' waterline it was 31'' wide I could stand up in that boat.
I know this one is not quite as wide but it will be stable when I raise the height of the seat to a comfortable position...
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

My T-V has a seat height of 9 inches and is stable as heck.
Ron
woodman

Post by woodman »

Got the outside glassed and a couple of fill coats on...Fliped it over and did fillets ...Then the fun began this morning glassing the inside of this was a bit of a time consuming challenge with those tumblehome panels 3 hrs. later done ....
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

woodman wrote:Got the outside glassed and a couple of fill coats on...Fliped it over and did fillets ...Then the fun began this morning glassing the inside of this was a bit of a time consuming challenge with those tumblehome panels 3 hrs. later done ....
The inside is never any fun. I usually lay the boat on its side, due one half, let it cure, then do the other half. A little extra sanding to taper the edge of the cloth so the other half lays over it clean, but not too bad.
-Matt. Designer.