out board motor attachment

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cridgie down under

out board motor attachment

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi. Due to an ongoing shoulder problem i am looking at attaching an outboard motor to my kayak.
Has any one out there done this, and could you please provide me with DIY how to do information
would be grateful if you have pics .
regards Cridgie down under
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Re: out board motor attachment

Post by goanywhere »

I know I have seen several sites where people have installed electric motors. Might be a bit lighter and more user-friendly than fuel-driven outboards, and quieter too. :)
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

goanywhere wrote:I know I have seen several sites where people have installed electric motors. Might be a bit lighter and more user-friendly than fuel-driven outboards, and quieter too. :)
I doubt it would be lighter, when you take into consideration the weight of a battery with enough capacity to last the distance.
Batteries don't like to be taken beloe 50% SOC (state of charge) and it will shorten their life.
In practical terms, something like a 2hp Honda with built in fuel tank is a lot lighter.

Cheers Mike
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

For sit on top, I've paddlers affix a simple 2x4 to their milk crate and use that as a side motor mount.
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Have you considered having a strap on motor mount? We trust straps to hold the boat on top of a car or trailer traveling at 60 miles an hour. The profile of the strap laying flat underwater would have minimal drag. The load would be spread over the total hull shape at that point. Not just mounted to a deck or side panel. Shape the mount to the contour of the deck and have it overhanging either side. One side long enough for the strap, the other long enough for the strap and motor clamp. Put a groove into where the strap would sit. Place the strap over the mount under the boat, up and over the other end of the mount and back to the "buckle" or whatever. Piece of closed cell foam between deck and mount to create a friction fit. Minimal disruption to the boat.
A couple of guides/wood strips screwed/glued to the deck and mebbe the side panels for the strap to lay against, so they cannot slip toward the thinner end of the boat. Would save having a permanent set up. I was looking at a little 18T watersnake on special at BCF today.$99. They weigh bugger all. Batteries though are the big worry weight wise. I'm tempted but. By strap I mean those cambuckle things rather than the ratchet ones which I reckon can be a bit too savage.

Cheers John.