Sabalo build finally underway!

Builder show and discuss their progress.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Re: Sabalo build finally underway!

Post by goanywhere »

That patch hasn't reappeared, and it looks fine.

I made my first stuff-up yesterday. I was measuring and cutting and I don't know how but I measured out the the CP floor exactly, except for one thing, I made it exactly 1 foot too long. I mis-counted the reference lines. I had measured and cut out this piece before measuring up the whole sheet (yes I sometimes do stupid stuff like that!). Fortunately it was too big, not too small so I just re-measured correctly and cut it out from the bigger one and all was ok, except that I then had to spend a good couple of hours working out how to get all the other parts out of the remaining sheet. I managed to get them all in ok except for one part that I found a scrap piece big enough for.

Just goes to show that you've got to check and re-check your work! (Oh, and don't cut anything out until you've measured up the whole sheet. I was eager to try out my new toy...er...saw, and I got impatient). I am amazed at how easy it is to get measurements wrong. I am developing the habit of totally mis-trusting my work and go back and re-measure and check everything over and over. Makes me sick, but at least I catch the errors before taking to it with a saw. I have caught a few more errors by doing that.

Anyway I'm on sheet 5 now and looking good. I should have all the measuring and cutting finished by next weekend.

Having heaps of fun doing this.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Messing up, getting mad at yourself, fixing, no longer trusting yourself to measure only once: that's called "experience".

:lol:

Can't tell you how many times I've done that.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Making real progress now. All components are now cut out and I have started joining the hull panels. I have decided to do something a little different regarding the panel joins. I am going to use butt joints on panels A and B, and fibreglass joint for C and D. The reason is because I am using 3.2mm ply, and I will be glueing a second layer as a strengthening strip along the full lenght of the cockpit on these panels (for added strength for mounting accessories), so I decided to use butt joints as part of this process (I will glue the rest on after they are installed). But on the bottom I didn't want the butt joint to interfere with the CP floor frames, so I will be glassing those joints.

I know this is a bit unorthodox but there's a method in my madness.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

A couple of pics.

The components cut and ready to start building. (Gee there's a lot, I hope they are all there!)

Starting to join the hull sections.
Last edited by goanywhere on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ayjay
Type of boat I like: Building a Sabalo

Post by ayjay »

goanywhere, this is Ayjay. I got your email and backtracked it. Can't figure out how to reply to it, so I'll post here. I pretty much sort of invented my own measurement and used scrap pieces to build that little console on mine. I'll measure it and come back here and post approximate dimensions. The hard part is coming up with the right angles. I basically used one side of it as a pattern: measuring, trimming/sanding until it fit in place as desired, then traced it on another piece, cut it out, and clamped the two together and sanded them on the edges so they were identical pieces.

Then I very carefully used some heavy blocks to hold them in place in the position I wanted, and tacked the two sides in with fillet mix, then took measurements for the front and top, and epoxied those on, then glassed over that, etc...

It was easier to me that to try to prefab the whole console and put it on.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I figured you might have done that. I was hoping to avoid doing all that work. If you can provide the dimensions I would be grateful.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Well, things are really taking shape now. Last night I started to construct the hull. Matt, I looked at the tutorial and answered my own question regarding stitching the frames. I found that the bottom panels are a bit wider than the frames in the centre area by about 5mm each side. I plan to use spacers on the frames each side to make up the gap, which should take care of it. Other than that everything lined up beautifully.

I haven't finished gluing the shear clamps on the tankwell section. I wanted to see how everything lined up while I had a bit of flexibility in the frame, but no need to worry, it all lines up, so I should have the hull formed up by the end of the weekend.

Just a tip, I am now using X shaped plastic tile spacers for spacers in stitching. I used the wedge type for the outrigger build, but they have a tendency to fall out. These ones are great, they don't fall out and can be installed after the stitch is loosely placed, which saves time. They are also strong enough to manually 'tweak' to line up the panels without fear of breaking. And they're cheap.

OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Coming along well Steve, looks good.

That's a good idea about the plastic spacers too - not sure if it's in the tips and tricks section but it would be a good addition.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

sorry I didn't get to your question. Been a crazy couple days. Good crazy..... but time consuming crazy.
-Matt. Designer.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Lookin good mate 8) ........see you have increased under floor storage space in footwell........I used a Hobie 10" hinged hatch on mine (our dollars still good with green back :wink: )and you can get tackle boxes that fit into hatch. I sussed all the gear I needed online built boat to suit it and then did one big order thru a US supplier comes right to your door..........keep the pics coming
Cheers Paul