hybrid sit in/on

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

hybrid sit in/on

Post by Tor »

I have a Southwind and I love it.

I fish in it mostly and there's a couple of things that I don't like about a sit in for fishing. If you catch something you need to deal with quickly (some fish need bleeding) or squid which squirt or bait the inside can get a little messy and the only way to clean up is to use a sponge or cloth to wipe out.

I only want to have one boat to do multiple tasks (no I don't but lets pretend) ok if I go on a big camping trip there's only space for a couple of yaks so I need flexibility. I'd like to fit a mirage drive but that needs a hole and last time I checked holes in yaks were discouraged.

So I'd like a "deck" in the cockpit to form the seat, somewhere to stick the mirage drive and a scupper system to get the water and mess out. It might add some weight but I think it would be a fine addition.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: hybrid sit in/on

Post by jem »

It's doable but keep in mind you're entire body will be seated higher 4-5" depending on how much load on board you intend to have.

How much total weight (you, boat, fishing tackle, mirage drive, gear, etc) to you plan to have on board?
-Matt. Designer.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Matt

Unless I catch a really big fish I'd say 200lb max of weight in the yak (although this would not include the occasional tandem paddle which might add another 100lb).

Height wouldn't be an issue, I sit at about 5 now (but the lags are lower)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It would require 5" subfloor. I usually like to have you bum an inch or so higher. I can draw it but you should try paddling with your feet 5" off the bottom and your seat 6-7" off the bottom to see if you really want to try it.
-Matt. Designer.
Tor

Post by Tor »

thanks Matt didn't realise you'd need to sit so high, I'll give it a go and see, but I'm guessing I'll build another of the yaks I've already got plans for first... :)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It's the rounded hull shape that required the elevated seating position. Per Archimedes' principle, you need to displace enough of the hull into the water to equal the amount of weight you want to support.

South Wind is a somewhat rounded and narrow hull shape. If you look at it's hull cross section, the area of the cross section is not as much as a hull that is wider and less rounded (example pirogue).

So if you took a hull of similar overall width but was more blocky like a pirogue, the pirogue would not have to sit as deep in the water in the water as a more rounded hull to get the same displacement. But keep in mind, the South Wind's rounded hull shape will out-perform a pirogue in most situation. Not all, but most.

A "touring SOT" has always been the ultimate goal of many designers. But by the time you get one long enough to support paddler weight with a more rounded hull cross section, it ends up being 18' long.
-Matt. Designer.