Sabalo build finally underway!

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Sabalo build finally underway!

Post by Bemm 52 »

Gezz that was quick..........yep marine suplliers or bigger tackle stores about 5 bucks........did you see my comment on outriggers?

Cheers Paul
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Sorry mate, just looked for it but can't find your comment on outriggers. Send a link. :) (I'm a bit quiet at work right now, the lull before the storm).
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Here she is ready for tacking. I'm really happy with how neat and straight she has come together. I did have to muck around with the bow a bit to get it straight but it wasn't too hard.

goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

And tacked.

I used the 'frosting bag' method, which works brilliantly. Only thing, you've got to cut the corner off very small otherwise the filleting material goes everywhere. But not too much difficulty if you use a spatula to smooth it into place.

I might have a bit of sanding in places to get it nice and smooth, my first batch was a bit 'slumpy' and sagged a bit, but not too much, just enough to mean a bit of extra work sanding it off. The Bosch orbital sander should make quick work of that though. (Great investment, the Bosch ROS! :wink: )

I'm looking forward to glassing the hull this weekend. We've got a perfect couple of days of 27 and 31 degrees C coming. :D :D

Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

goanywhere wrote:Sorry mate, just looked for it but can't find your comment on outriggers. Send a link. :) (I'm a bit quiet at work right now, the lull before the storm).
Second last post on page 3

Cheers Paul
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Bemm 52 wrote:Gezz that was quick..........yep marine suplliers or bigger tackle stores about 5 bucks........did you see my comment on outriggers?

Cheers Paul
Yes, finally found it. Sorry, I thought it was referring to my other build log re the outriggers. Yes, I would like some help re rod storage. I have seen some good ideas on the forum that I am considering, but any other ideas would be welcome. I have already been planning on reinforcing the deck for the outrigger beams. I plan on laminating an extra 2 layers of ply under the area where they will go. I am also going to install a mast step which will require deck reinforcement too. I will be fitting a rudder also, and I have reinforced the transom for this already. I will also be reinforcing the cockpit and sections in the centre hull area for fittings. So yes, there will be a bit of general modification work to do yet while the construction is still accessible. Thanks for the reminder though! :D :D
ayjay
Type of boat I like: Building a Sabalo

Post by ayjay »

OK, I finally remembered to take the dimensions of the console I put on my boat. The width is 4.5 inches. The side panels are sort of trapezoidal in shape, but with the foreward edge taller than the back edge so that as the deck rises towards the seat, the console top angles slightly down.

The top edge of the side panel is about 17.5 inches long. The bottom edge is about 16.5 inches long. The foreward edge is about 6 inches. The aft edge is about 3.5 inches. The sides are more or less vertical.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Thanks ayjay, I will have a look at those dimensions and see if it will work with what I have in mind. :)

But... did I miss something? I don't know if I got something wrong, but I have a little problem. I read the instructions and I think I did this in the right order, so I don't know if this is normal:

I tacked the hull, and then after allowing the filler to cure, I unstitched the cockpit and tankwell frames, removed them, applied masking tape to the inside, turned the hull over and filled in the gaps where the stitches were, as per the instructions. But when I flipped it over again to remove the tape I noticed that the hull was wider than it was. I placed the frames back to check and yes, the hull has 'splayed' a bit.

Is this a problem? Is it normal? I was planning to apply fibreglass tape to the inside on the seams, then fillet and tape the frames in place. What I will need to do now is either strap the hull in line with the frames before filleting and taping, or re-stitch the frames in place, tack them into place, then fillet and tape.

What would you folks suggest I do?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You'll need to get that tightened up. You will have to restitich the frames in and then go back and fill in as much of the gaps as possible. Also check that you're filler/tack weld material mixed properly and is hard, not soft.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

That was quick Matt!

The filler material is hard, but not 100% cured off yet. My feeling is that because I am using the 3.2mm Oukume it might be more likely to flex a bit. I intend to apply extra glass to compensate for this, but it needs some extra 'persuasion' to behave itself while building, I'm finding :lol:

At least it seems I haven't done anything wrong, so, yes I will re-stitch and take the time to get it right. The only thing is that I will have to drill again through some of the holes that have been filled while tacking and filling the seams. Oh well, nobody said this was going to be all beer and skittles.... :x :x