Epoxy/Graphite toughness?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Epoxy/Graphite toughness?

Post by goanywhere »

Just wondering how long lasting the epoxy/graphite coating often used will last. My understanding was that epoxy not varnished or painted deteriorates when exposed. Does the graphite minimise that?

And would it be tougher than a 2 pack polyurethane paint, (which is very tough)?
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: Epoxy/Graphite toughness?

Post by rodot »

I used a two part varnish (Hempels Diamond Finish Varnish) on my Okwata and found it incredibly tough. After about 12 months use though, I had scraped the hull a number of times and it was starting to look a little bit tatty. Those rotten oysters taste great but are a bugger on the bottom of the boat.

I then sanded the botttom of the hull back and coated it with the graphite mix. I have found the hull now to be much more slippery, sliding over weeds and logs etc. but I dont think it is anywhere near as tough. It seems to scratch much more easily and deeper now. After all, graphite is what is used for pencil lead and that is pretty soft. I guess the plus side is that it would be pretty easy to repair. Other people seem to swear by the toughness of graphite but I can only comment on my own experience. As for UV protection, it appears to be the general consensus that the graphite protects the epoxy from UV rays. I have only had graphite on my hull now for a few months so I cant form an opinion.

For my current build I am not going to bother with a graphite bottom. I know it is slipperier over weeds and stuff but I have found no measurable difference in the overall speed of the vessel and I personally dont think it looks as good.

These are my opinions but I am sure others will disagree. The choice is yours.

Cheers Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I've found the graphite to be a little tougher than paint. It doesn't really do much going through the water but it does seem to allow the hull to glance off logs and rocks a bit better.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

What is the correct mix? Some say 10% by volume, some 20%. Or do you just add enough to make it black and still able to be applied smoothly?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

goanywhere wrote:What is the correct mix? Some say 10% by volume, some 20%. Or do you just add enough to make it black and still able to be applied smoothly?
I get it to a pancake batter like thickness so I can still apply it with a paint roller. The thicker you can manage it, the more protection you will get.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Yes, that's what I thought. Thanks Matt. About how much will I need for my Sabalo?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

a pint should be more than enough.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Thanks Matt.