Sabalo build finally underway!

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Sabalo build finally underway!

Post by Bemm 52 »

Goanywhere
Renewed rudder cables and got the camera out for you.................

and one showing console in boat

Cheers Paul
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Excellent Paul! That design is exactly as I had planned for. I just have to adjust the size to my needs.

Today is a big day, I'm glassing the inside hull today. Perfect weather and plenty of time to work on it. Things are rapidly going forward now! :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Paul I was trying to work out what that gauge was on the front of your console. Is it a voltage meter for your battery?

Also, what did you do for rod storage? I am thinking of tubes from the front of the CP into the forward storage area. PVC tubes should do the trick, probably two each side, with rubber caps or plugs to seal them. My rods are all 2 piece so they will store nicely here I think.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Excellent Paul! That design is exactly as I had planned for. I just have to adjust the size to my needs
Wot! No stubbie holder :( :( :( :wink:
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

goanywhere wrote:Paul I was trying to work out what that gauge was on the front of your console.
Compass.........I've got no rod storage it kinda got missed along the way..........good luck with yours

Cheers Paul
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Hi Goanywhere

Can you fit something like this in a Sabalo

These are in both of my Wadefish. I used Vacuum system pipe from work.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

PiratePete wrote:Can you fit something like this in a Sabalo
Yes something like that, but accessible from the cockpit. That's my thought, I'll see how it works out :roll:
rodot wrote:Wot! No stubbie holder
Well... of course. One you beut A grade stubbie holder! :lol: :wink:

goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Tonight I finished glassing the inside. What a job!! :x I thought I would take about an hour to do it. It took 3. But it's all looking nice now. I was having trouble with the glass cloth pulling away from the seams and creating bubbles. I had to watch over it like a mother hen until the resin started to gel and then I could get it to stay put. I did the job in 3 sections, with the bow and stern separately. I strengthened the stern with extra tape just to be sure. I intend to fit a larger than normal rudder to it for sailing, so the transom needs to be sturdy.

I am told glassing the inside is the hardest part of the whole build, so if that's true then it's all down hill from here. (Actually I think building the cockpit floor frames was harder. :( )

goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Bemm 52 wrote:
goanywhere wrote:Paul I was trying to work out what that gauge was on the front of your console.
Compass.........I've got no rod storage it kinda got missed along the way..........good luck with yours

Cheers Paul
When I fit mine I'll post some pics. You might want to retro fit them. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard. :)
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

What the......!!!!!

I came home from work today to see this:

These little bubbles are all over the hull, and are in lines that correspond to where the fibreglass was folded. I put the glass on a roll a couple of months ago, but the glass obviously retained the 'memory' even when epoxied down. When I went to work this morning the resin was about 80% cured and there were only a few bubbles and not as noticeable.

I am a bit relieved that this is in the inside where it won't be seen, but I don't know if I can trust that it won't happen on the outside as well. I am using a close-weave herringbone pattern glass cloth that looks fantastic and is very smooth, but I am shocked that this could happen.

What do I do?!! Do I go and buy new glass off a roll? If I use it on the outside can I do anything to ensure that this won't happen again?