Rudder Questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Rudder Questions

Post by rodot »

Hi Guys

I am at the stage with my Northwind build that I have installed the deck supports and am just about ready to install the deck.

Before I fit the deck however, I am trying to work out the best way to install the rudder cables. I would like to use spetra cord. Would 2mm be Ok or should I go 3mm. For the sheaths I was thinking of using the small daimeter black plastic hose that is used in garden irrigation. I am wondering however if this would handle the wear and tear from friction with the spectra cord.

Do these cables have to keep a reasonably straight line or can I put a bit of a looping bend so that I would not have to make such an elongated exit hole through the hull. The cables will have to exit through the tumblehome panels, but I dont see that as a problem. I was thinking that the cables would probably fit better if they crossed over. I noticed that some people on different forums seem to recommend this.

As you may have guessed, I know absolutly nothing about rudders so I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: Rudder Questions

Post by PiratePete »

I used the poly tube for my rudder cables on both my Wadefish. I ran them fairly straight from point to point but did loop around where I wanted to fit hatches etc.

One boat has a higher quality cord with a braided outer over longitudal fibres that has very little stretch. When I went Bach to Tyne store to get the same stuff for the second boat he had run out & I ended up using some cheap braided cord with a lot of stretch. Once this has been wet a couple of times & tensioned again it seems now to have stopped stretching & you can't tell the difference between both boats.

I don't know as yet how long the poly tube will last as I have only had my boats on the water for about 6 months.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Thanks Pete. I was wondering about wear because I dont plan to put a hatch in this boat and replacement could be a bit difficult. I have however now fitted the poly tubing in a pretty straight line and I think it should be possible to replace it at a later date if needed.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Roger
Darrel and my Northwinds are both set up where we can add rudders if we need to. end pours and cable tubes and bolts can be attached any time we want to because of the size of our back hatches.
After putting some miles on mine I doubt I will ever fit a rudder. The boats handle well enough with out one. I use a yak double ended paddle ,now if you were going to go to a single blade I would probably install a rudder.
The only time I have a problem turning this boat is when I am sitting still and need to spin her,a rudder wouldnt help that ,and it is expected in a boat that long.
Great looking build.
Ron
rodot

Post by rodot »

There,s a few reasons why I am installing a rudder. One is that on occassions I would like to take my other half with me on a paddle. For this I would imagine single paddles would be much more convenient and save the inevitable clashing of paddles and tempers. Also it would help maintianing course on open lakes with a following sea and weathercocking. Also I like to take a lot of photos from the yak and find that when I raise the paddle to drift in on a subject, it needs a rudder to maintain the direction of the drift.

The only problem I have yet to overcome is how to fit foot peddles that can be operated from two positions. I intend to poach Rons idea and install the seat on rails so it can be moved back so that a passenger can be accommodated. Not too sure about the foot peddles however. They will be adjustable over a distance of about 12 inches and I might find that with the seat back I will have my feet straight out and with the seat forward they will be bent. Judging by the photos of Verlen Kruger it probably wouldnt hurt if I sat back a little anyway.

Cheers Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Roger
Dont take me wrong I am not knocking a rudder , I build what I call balanced decks ,same length and height front and back , with the north wind The wind just doesnt seem to effect it and tracking is awesome.
You are going to love this boat.
Ron
rodot

Post by rodot »

Thanks Ron

I really appreciate your input and gained much from your shared experience in building this craft.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

What about buying a preformed epoxy-fiberglass tube:

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/prod ... 275f8c54b3

I would consider installing a small pulley or padeye at the ends of the tube so the rudder cable/cord goes mostly straight through the tube to prevent wear.
-Matt. Designer.