Laker vs swamp girl vs pirogue

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
puddy
Type of boat I like: Canoe or kayak

Laker vs swamp girl vs pirogue

Post by puddy »

Hello,
I'm new here. Never built a boat before but have wanted to build my own kayak for years. Now I finally have the motivation (and the time) and can't decide what to build.
I'll be paddling on a small mountain river where there are a lot of shallow rocky (and loggy) sections mixed with stretches of slow deeper water. Typical traffic on the river is plastic rental kayaks and tubers. I won't be doing any fishing or camping with it.
I was leaning toward the Laker (actually down loaded the free plans) but now I'm having second thoughts. I definately want a solo boat but I like the idea of being able to bring my kids with me. I think the flat bottom of a pirogue would be good going over rocks and logs, but I thought the stability of the Swamp Girl (from what I've read) would be better for me when I have a 3 year old passenger.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
thanks a lot,

Chris
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Re: Laker vs swamp girl vs pirogue

Post by Phishtech »

With a small child in tow I'd go for something more stable than a Laker (too narrow). You might want to try one of Matt's pirogues. He has them from 14' on up and can easily hold your kid and you. Simple first build is a big plus. You might want to do the Touring Pirogue. Simple to build, easy to handle, can handle a ton of weight, and very efficient on the water.

And welcome aboard !! We'll help you any way we can.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

Phishtech wrote: Simple first build is a big plus. You might want to do the Touring Pirogue. Simple to build, easy to handle, can handle a ton of weight, and very efficient on the water.

And welcome aboard !! We'll help you any way we can.
total agreement, good all round boat.

MM
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

G'day Puddy and welcome aboard mate. :D

I have built and paddled all three. Swampgirl is a superb boat for your stated needs but is more challenging to build than a pirogue.

Have a look at the Touring Pirogue. It is a fast, easy build, a great paddle craft and will do all that you require very well indeed.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... ourPirogue
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

With youngsters on board i'd build the TV 15-32 easy and fast to build.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Laker would be tough taking a passenger, even a small on. Pirogue would be a good choice for a 1st build.

Check out this one: http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... ngPirogueT
-Matt. Designer.
puddy
Type of boat I like: Canoe or kayak

Post by puddy »

Thanks for all the replies.
I had been leaning towards the swamp girl (at least partially because I think it's a really nice looking boat).
But a completed pirogue will be nicer looking than a half done swamp girl sitting in my basement.
I ordered the Touring Pirogue T.
I'm sure there will be a lot more questions coming once I start building.
thanks again,

-Chris