Freedom gets a facelift

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Freedom gets a facelift

Post by tx river rat »

The Freedom was my first kayak and it is a Cadillac ,but I made some mistakes on it, and Matt made some improvements.
Hatches were way to small ,had high pointed decks so the wind efected it to much.
Today I cut the top deck of did some sawing and sanding reshaping the bulkheads
Tomorrow I will start striping the decks.
Ron
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Re: Freedom gets a facelift

Post by goanywhere »

Seems a bit drastic. But you definitely wouldn't be doing that on a plastic! (Did that rhyme? Guess I'm a poet and didn't know it.) :lol: :lol:
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

What ever happened to the (tandem?) :(
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

She use to look like this

Have the front deck striped and 3/4 done on the back deck.

Sure is going to look like a different boat
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

The tandem is on hold until I do some more paddling in the Northwind , I may wind up building another as a tandem.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I am a little slow on this. I think the voodoo lady from Louisiana came by, First I crashed and then 3 days later my puter crashed.
We are both up and running now so it is back to work on the Freedom.
Decks are stripped and first coat of cloth and epoxy is applied. I flipped her over and sanded the bottom and sides, rustoleum paint is tough worse than sanding epoxy.
Patched some places that I had worn through the cloth then put on the external stems. got my first coat of epoxy on the bottom.
Now I need to reload my camera soft ware and post some pics.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got the bottom and half the sides covered with graphite ,Graphite will be will cover everything but the decks.

Decks are stripped ,I still like the sides of the cockpit.Sure is going to change the looks of this boat.
Ron