Merrimac - 2nd build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Merrimac - 2nd build

Post by Earvin »

My plans for the Merrimac have arrived and so I have to start sourcing some ply. Mind you I haven't quite finished my Pirogue, but it's close.

I was just wondering what the Aussie builders have been using for their builds and where are they getting it. I have heard reports that the gaboon marine ply is of a mixed standard lately. In the past I have got my ply and other supplies from Boatcraft Pacific in QLD whom I will probably call after the weekend but just wanted others recent experience.
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: Merrimac - 2nd build

Post by rodot »

My first build (Okwata) was with Pacific Maple from Trend Timbers, Sydney, who source it from Boatcraft. I reckon its not too bad, just a little heavier than gaboon. My current build (Northwind) is with Gaboon from a mob in Brookvale, Sydney and its pretty ordinary. Had to work around some flaws and the outer plys are pretty thin.
I have heard some very good reports about Hoop Pine from those I have met who have used it. It certainly has a much higher F rating and appears to be a much better quality. I think that is what I would use next time.

Cheers Roger.
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Thanks Roger. It makes it harder when you can't see it prior to purchase doesn't it.

There is a mob in Tasmania, Denman Marine I think, who sell a quality gaboon by Joubert (?). A bit more pricey but quality is apparently up there. The thing is money is a tad tight so I have to balance quality with price.
Simon

Earvin

Post by Earvin »

http://boatcraft.com.au/informationpage ... update.htm

This is a good summary from Boatcraft Pacific about the current problems.
Simon

rodot

Post by rodot »

There is a mob in Tasmania, Denman Marine I think, who sell a quality gaboon by Joubert
Oh yeah. I forgot about Andrew at Denman Marine. Great stuff and probably well worth the extra money, but the shipping cost is the killer. I gave him a buzz and he suggested waiting for others to order on the mainland and combine shiping, but its still pricey to ship and unfortunately I dont seem to have the patience to wait.
I even concidered taking another holiday through Tassie (great place) and pick up the stuff, but with the extra cost of the trailer on the ferry, it was just not worth it. Mind you, I dont need much of an excuse to visit Tassie. Great scenery, great bushwalking.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Simon, another possibility is to go the SSG method. Have a look through some of the recent builds for examples of this. If you did this using paulownia you would get a great looking and lightweight boat without prohibitive cost.

For timber to do this have a look at www.paulownia-timber-sales.com.au. They are in northern NSW and grow and mill their own paulownia. They are famimliar with the needs of both surfboard and canoe/kayak builders.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

Mate,

I encountered this problem with Gaboon (Okoume) with the last batch I ordered. The quality varied from sheet to sheet - even the thickness wasn't uniform but it was lovely stuff to work with and very light weight. I still have about 5 sheets that I have been saving.

I source all my plywood here,

http://www.awpanels.com.au/

Don't go strictly on their webste. Give them a call and ask them. Sometimes they have other stuff that is not listed and they are very helpful in this regard. They also ship interstate.

Many of my boats were built of non marine ply - stuff they used to call "blond' ply or interior grade stuff with a C and D face and 3mm to 3.6mm thick. This stuff is harder to work with in that the surface veneers are very thin and real care is needed when sanding. otherwise, it works fine. All my boats built from this stuff have stood the test of time and my abuse very well and are still as good as the day I made them. This is one such boat.

i don't think that it is critical to build your boat out of marine ply and with the cost of same today, I wouldn't bother. here are a couple of alternatives, just from that website that i think are worth considering.

This stuff is a bit heavier

http://www.awpanels.com.au/products/ply ... lywood.htm

http://www.awpanels.com.au/products/ply ... lywood.htm

I like the look of this stuff. :D

http://www.awpanels.com.au/products/ply ... -skins.htm

Your merrimac doesn't have any hard bends or twists in the panels so i think any of the above would work well.

Hope this helps a bit.
rodot

Post by rodot »

i don't think that it is critical to build your boat out of marine ply and with the cost of same today, I wouldn't bother. here are a couple of alternatives, just from that website that i think are worth considering
My brain tells me that you are absolutely right Mick. You and others have some excellent and beautiful craft that speak for themselves.

The trouble I have is, that being a novice, I look at a build and think that there is an awful lot of work and cost is being invested in this boat and I would hate to spoil it for the sake of a few extra dollars for the plywood. In actual fact though, I doubt once a boat is in the water, that a few kilos one way or the other is going to make any difference whatsoever and the cheaper ply once laminated with fibreglass is going to have more than enough strength to handle anything I could throw at it.

But I have to admit, working with a nice bit of timber is like working with a quality tool. It just feels good.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Thanks guys.

I might have a look at strip, stitch and glue I forgot some guys did that on this forum. Might be interesting. Gives me another option anyway.
Simon

goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Earvin, cheap ply is not necessarily lighter, in fact is is often heavier.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!