stitch and glue canoe work area

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

stitch and glue canoe work area

Post by LesForgue »

Is it important to have a level workstation for assembling and connecting the panels? Or will the panels automatically line up properly when they are stitched and glued together?

I will be working in my basement, in which the concrete floor is cracked, with no large nice level areas. Do I need to ensure my work table or saw horse set up is plumb and level?
Les Richard Forgue
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Re: stitch and glue canoe work area

Post by Mick »

Is it important to have a level workstation for assembling and connecting the panels? Or will the panels automatically line up properly when they are stitched and glued together?

Yes, you do mate. I would say this is a minimum requirement when stitching and tacking up your hull
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

with stitch and glue, a "consistently flat" surface is the minimum to assemble. Doesn't have to be perfectly level.

When you square up the hull just prior to tack welding, you'll need 2 level surfaces but those are easy to set up with 2 saw horses, a level gauge, and some shims.
-Matt. Designer.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

Thanks Mick and Matt.

Today I intend to purchase one of Matt's plans, probably it will be the Trapper 15-38.
I am strongly lured by the Sasquatch 12 footer, because it would be so easy to store at home and because 12 feet long would maneuver easier in wooded swamps and backwaters, but probably I will go with the Trapper 15 to have something more paddleable (ok to make up words here?) in a range of normal situations (open water witout trees).
Les Richard Forgue