Merrimac - 2nd build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Re: Merrimac - 2nd build

Post by Earvin »

goanywhere wrote:Earvin, cheap ply is not necessarily lighter, in fact is is often heavier.
Yep noticed that.
Cheers
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

OnkaBob wrote:Simon, another possibility is to go the SSG method. Have a look through some of the recent builds for examples of this. If you did this using paulownia you would get a great looking and lightweight boat without prohibitive cost.

For timber to do this have a look at http://www.paulownia-timber-sales.com.au. They are in northern NSW and grow and mill their own paulownia. They are famimliar with the needs of both surfboard and canoe/kayak builders.
There seems to be too many variables with the ply currently available so I am going to go with SS&G as suggested by Bob, especially after looking at Ron's build again. However, I think I am putting the Merrimac on hold for now and build a Wadefish instead :lol: .
Simon

Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Ok completely ignore my last post. Due to a possibility of helping some of my clients build some canoes as part of my job I thought I should give a s&g merrimac a crack first.
The ply has arrived and I have drawn up the reference lines. The quality of ply is ok but has a few imperfections but I think I can work around them.
It feels good to be building again.
Simon

rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

The ply has arrived and I have drawn up the reference lines. The quality of ply is ok but has a few imperfections but I think I can work around them.
It feels good to be building again.
Good luck with the build mate. Just curious, what kind of ply did you settle on?

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

rodot wrote:
Good luck with the build mate. Just curious, what kind of ply did you settle on?

Roger
Roger I ended up buying some Pacific Maple or Pink Ply. A personal local financial crisis dictated a purchase of cheap ply plus Boatcraft Pacific recommended it. The veneer looks very thin and there is one small spot in which the venner is missing, which I was not happy about, although as luck may have it it won't be on any of the canoe panels. There was also some damage in transit on some of the edges also but again should be ok.

I am looking forward to the build so I can get out hunting some bass but also so i can move onto my Wadefish build :twisted:

Hopefully this weekend I can start drawing up and cutting out the panels.
Simon

rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Roger I ended up buying some Pacific Maple or Pink Ply. A personal local financial crisis dictated a purchase of cheap ply plus Boatcraft Pacific recommended it.
No worries mate. I used the same stuff on my Okwata and I reckon it turned out alright. I've had a lot of favourable comments from people at launching sites and fellow boaters anyway. 8)
Matt leaves plenty of room on his nesting to work around any dodgy spots, so you shouldn't have any dramas.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico