cutting along a line

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: cutting along a line

Post by PiratePete »

I found when cutting out my 2 Wadefish the blade wanted to bend slightly depending on what way I was trying to make the cut go. This wasnt a problem with one sheet as it was so small a deflection but I cut the bottom panels to both boats at the same time & when I got to the bottom sheet it did make a big difference then. The boat still came out OK but I can see the difference between both boats when they are up side down. . . . .
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Somewhere, either on here or oldsparkey's there is a modification to jigsaw baseplates that consists of fitting a shoe. Basically a well fitting piece of ply is bolted (mebbe even glued, I can't remember) under the baseplate with the gap for the blade only being the width of a blade. The idea being to stop the blade 'wandering' over to one side or the other. Probably not a perfect solution but should help a bit.
Most people though would cut a - hopefully perfect- template of similar panels. Then use it to mark the rest to cut OUTSIDE the line. Screw the panels together with the template on top then trim them back to match the template. This helps avoid a bit of splintering as well when using a jigsaw across the grain.

Cheers John..
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

John,
The shoe on the bottom of the jig saw is for zero clearence for the saw blade. It supports the wood fibers on each side of the cut reducing splintering. It can be held on with double sided carpet tape.
Bob