West Coast Tasmania

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

West Coast Tasmania

Post by PiratePete »

We had a long weekend this week & I took our 2 Wadefish away to Lake Pieman on the West Coast Of Tasmania for a get together with a group of paddlers called Tassie Paddlers.

I managed 1 small brown trout for the trip but the weather was against us for fishing as the day was bright & sunny, with the lake flat calm.

I did get some photos of my daughters Wadefish under way.

Bow wave at about 4Km an hour

From the stern at about 6Km an hour

I went by myself & let some of the other members try out the second boat. All of them came back saying how easy the boat was to peddle.

I find that I can do 4Km/h for trolling without any effort at all & on the day we did about 9Km in 3 hours including stopping to cast into bays, swap around boats & take photos.

If you want to cover some distance you can push them up to 6Km/h & blow paddlers into the weeds and still be comfortable and then as for a top speed 11Km/h can be achieved for short dashes.

We also did some roll over tests & you have to have the top plank on the seat box at water level before you cant stop it from tipping so they are very stable. :D :D

I also had a couple of races wit a Hobie Outback using the Mirage Drive as well & blew him into the weeds but did loose out out on a paddle run against the groups fastest boat but I have forgotten what type of kayak it is. :oops: :oops: :oops: (He is also a lot taller than me & Im sure it was only his longer stroke that got him over the line before me)

Here is the line up of kayaks.
Last edited by PiratePete on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PiratePete

Re: West Coast Tasmania

Post by PiratePete »

Some more pictures.

A link to Google with the mornings peddle & some stats taken from MotionX GPS on my iPhone

http://gps.motionx.com/maps/87a569c7892 ... 6280f1bbb0
Name: Reece Dam
Date: 05/11/2011 9:26 am
Map:
(valid until May 4, 2012) View on Map
Distance: 8.74 kilometers
Elapsed Time: 3:21:34
Avg Speed: 2.6 km/h
Max Speed: 9.6 km/h
Avg Pace: 23' 04" per km
Min Altitude: 89 m
Max Altitude: 109 m
Start Time: 2011-11-04T22:26:58Z
Start Location:
Latitude: 41º 43' 49" S
Longitude: 145º 08' 07" E
End Location:
Latitude: 41º 43' 52" S
Longitude: 145º 08' 03" E
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Looking very nice there PP.
Impressive that you blew away the Hobie - I do the same with my OK Prowler 4.5 Elite too :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Mike
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

thats pretty fast 5.9 miles an hour.
Ron
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Pretty tough conditions in that second set of photo's :wink:
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Manjimike wrote:Looking very nice there PP.
Impressive that you blew away the Hobie - I do the same with my OK Prowler 4.5 Elite too :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Mike

When you look at the Hobies they are just big barges. :D :D
tx river rat wrote:thats pretty fast 5.9 miles an hour.
Ron

Its absolutely flying river rat & it creates a great big wake. . . . . . any faster & it would be planing. . . . . . . but keeping it up is a problem . . . . . maybe good for about 400m or so. :D :D

Earvin wrote:Pretty tough conditions in that second set of photo's :wink:

Despite what a lot of people on that big island to the north of us we do have some good weather in Tassie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Hey Mate, let us know when you are going to have another fine day and I'll be straight down there. :wink: :wink:

Seriously though, the west coast of Tassie has got to be one of the greatest places I know of. Great scenery, great fishing and wonderful people. I love the reflections on those photos taken on that still black water. I dont know of anywhere else where the water takes on that deep black colour.
A great report on your boat mate. I'm glad you could stick it up those plastic things.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Bugger! that looks nice. The wife and I had some frequent flyer points to use up or lose. We got return tickets to Tas. Were supposed to go next week but life got in the way. Bills mounted up and wife decided to book a cruise to NZ early next year. I pretty much have to go to the Uk for a month every year to visit mum. Anyway the tickets to Tas are just gonna have to be forfeited as we just can't afford to do it all.
Keep promising myself I have to go and will do in the next few years. It all looks drop dead gorgeous. You lucky bugger. Smashing pics.
Cheers John.
edit ps. Fourth pic down, bottom right hand corner. The pegs holding your shock cord rigging in place. Are they pieces of dowel cut on an angle both ends? If so I like it, even if not it made me think its a good idea. :)
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

You just reminded me I've got to find a way to get my Sabalo over to Tassie to visit my brother in Devonport. He would be blown away to see how these JEM's perform and he'd have plans ordered in a heartbeat! :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

john the pom wrote:Bugger! that looks nice. The wife and I had some frequent flyer points to use up or lose. We got return tickets to Tas. Were supposed to go next week but life got in the way. Bills mounted up and wife decided to book a cruise to NZ early next year. I pretty much have to go to the Uk for a month every year to visit mum. Anyway the tickets to Tas are just gonna have to be forfeited as we just can't afford to do it all.
Keep promising myself I have to go and will do in the next few years. It all looks drop dead gorgeous. You lucky bugger. Smashing pics.
Cheers John.
edit ps. Fourth pic down, bottom right hand corner. The pegs holding your shock cord rigging in place. Are they pieces of dowel cut on an angle both ends? If so I like it, even if not it made me think its a good idea. :)
Just about to go to work but tonight I will post up another pic showing them better.

Did it form work. I have 2 types.

Hooks to slip the shock cord over to hold the front hatch down

Eyes to hold the shock cord, rod lanyards etc.
goanywhere wrote:You just reminded me I've got to find a way to get my Sabalo over to Tassie to visit my brother in Devonport. He would be blown away to see how these JEM's perform and he'd have plans ordered in a heartbeat! :D
I live about 10K up the river at Latrobe. :D :D :D