Sabalo build finally underway!

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Sabalo build finally underway!

Post by Manjimike »

Very nice
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

surfman wrote:How did you make that rudder? Did you lay it up or use something made out of glass?
Yes tell us more. :!: :!: :!:
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I layed it up using a 90deg mold for the body and wing section, and for the rudder it was just flat. You need to use a mold release like plastic peel and stick so that the resin will release.

This is a design from a competitor, so I can't go into too much detail, but the construction is carbon fiber and fiberglass wetted out with saturation coats of epoxy resin. The construction for the wings is CCGGCGCGGCC. The rudder blade is CCCGCPLYCGCCC. I purchased a kit with plans and all the other fittings and cables, including the rudder pedals. The ply in the middle is very thin, only 1/16" and cut much smaller than the rudder to form a rigid centre section to form around.

There are a few techniques involved but like everything else if you take your time it isn't too hard. Carbon Fibre looks fantastic and is about 3 times stronger than fiberglass, but it isn't cheap, that's why a combination with fiberglass is used.

I paid about $180 all up for the kit and all components, but an equivalent one to buy would have been about $400. It's very light and super strong. :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

And now I'm a sailor man! Finished fitting up the sailing gear today, and will be hitting the waves this afternoon. More pics later I hope.

Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

saw this post yesterday.................every one seems to be stunned into silence................WOW WOW WOW :shock: :shock:

To many questions :?: How is mast stepped

How was hull reinforced

How are Amaas attached........................Plus heaps more :shock: :shock: :shock:

Please don't tell me its Photoshop :twisted:

Cheers paul
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I think I will have to post another thread for this. It is a culmination of alot of work about a year in the making including the sail. I will provide as many photos as I can.

I can say that I made a bit of a 'splash' at the beach the other day when I launched it for the first time in sailing mode. The only downside is that the rudder I made isn't big enough and I will have to make another blade suitable for sailing. :D
Falcn
Type of boat I like: Solo open canoe

Post by Falcn »

Wow!!! Now that is a stunning transformation.

Love it
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

I really like the way this boat finished off. I have kind of taken to the orange paint. The way I see it. Your in Australia and I am in Texas. Chances are very slim that we would run into each other out on the water. So I was kind of thinking about slinging some orange paint on the on my Sabalo :D
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

neon14 wrote: Chances are very slim that we would run into each other out on the water.
Hhhmmm.......maybe, but Steve's fairly adventurous you know - he might "go anywhere" :lol:
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

neon14 wrote:I really like the way this boat finished off. I have kind of taken to the orange paint. The way I see it. Your in Australia and I am in Texas. Chances are very slim that we would run into each other out on the water. So I was kind of thinking about slinging some orange paint on the on my Sabalo :D
All I want is to see some pics when it's all painted. You never know about meeting up, I wouldn't mind a challenge, as Onka says. :lol: