Dan's Pelagic

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Dan's Pelagic

Post by Manjimike »

How are you going Dan - your health and your project

Cheers Mike
AlohaDan
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by AlohaDan »

It looks like I beat Mr. "C".

Should be getting the boat in the water in the next month.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

AlohaDan wrote:It looks like I beat Mr. "C".

Should be getting the boat in the water in the next month.
Great to hear on both accounts... especially the first!
-Matt. Designer.
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Sincere congratulations :D :D
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Congratulations!

Do you have any recent pic's of the boat? I'd love to see it!
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Soon
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

OK here's a couple to hold you.

Coming down the home stretch.

Here's the seat. Checking clearance which is tight, I can rotate to aft position. With foot braces to be added aft, and fighting belt should be able to handle Mr. Ahi (In Hawaii commonly meaning tuna 100 lbs+).

May not be able to use it in kayak only mode(without sailing ama) Note CG of your butt is raised almost three inches. We will see

AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Finally on the water today

The Good
Works well with Hobie Drive.
Paddles well.
Makeshift rudder is OK for the moment.

Bad

Weighs close to 100 lbs.. If I account for Hobie sailing fittings and drive well I'm still at 70-75 lbs. Probably too much glass in there. :evil:

A bit tipsy.But probably just need getting used to. If these plans are used for paddle boat, suggest lowering seat area a couple of inches and should be fine. As it is I'm going to have the seat raised further (see pics in previous post). But I'm not worried as that will be in sail configuration with two ama.

The ugly

Leaks like a sieve. :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope I can find it. I did do light checks and some water testing during construction and did not anticipate this.I suspect it's in the vicinity of the the Hobie drive well.

More pics in a few days.
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

How has it been going Dan?
Sort out the leaks?

Cheers
Mike
AlohaDan

Post by AlohaDan »

Leaks under control. But the weight along with coffee farm chores has put this baby on the back burner.

Will try to see how she does under sail. Maybe some extra propulsion will help. Also need to redo rudder.