Jay's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Jay's Laker

Post by tx river rat »

I use washers inside and out and the nuts inside are locknuts .
Ron
toolman
Type of boat I like: the Laker freedom strip

Post by toolman »

Imagethese are the nuts I was refering to .They lock right into the wood .I put them in before I installed the deck.I also added epoxy around the nuts just for insurance.Image
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

Yeah, I'll plan on putting some kind of washer to back up whatever I do.

Terry, what kind of fittings are you using for the shock cord on the deck, specifically the passthrough ones in the middle on each side? I haven't seen those in my searches. I like the ones Ron has done, but would like to explore all of the alternatives.

Also, one of the nice things about living in Florida is that if it does get cold, it usually passes in a couple of days :D . Looking at highs in the low 70s for the next few days. I hope to get some more work done.

Jay
toolman

Post by toolman »

I used the same nylon strapping as Ron .The screw are #8 wood screws with an extra piece of wood on the inside for support .I used the same style of washer as I did for the handles.The screws for the handles are #10/32 and on the inside I used the "T" nuts.I like them because they pull up into the wood and don't need washers.For added support with the extra piece of wood I put a little epoxy around then when I glassed the inside of the deck.You can clean them out with a drill bit between your fingers and just roll it down throughImage.For my handles I folded them in the middle and heated them together Image.They seem stronger that way.Were I joined the bungee cord is just a fishermans knot called a blood knot .I pulled it as tight as possible then put shrink tube over it .Hope that helps you.
JayM

Post by JayM »

Been a bit busy and haven't had as much time to browse the net and work on the boat, but I'm squeezing in some time where I can.

Ron and Terry, thanks for the info. Haven't decided for sure yet what I will do for deck fittings.

I did get some stuff done, but no pics (sorry :oops: ) I did 3 coats of graphite on the bottom, and last night got the sheer strip done on one side. I hope to do the other side tonight if possible.

I got my foot braces from Duckworks yesterday, so may start gluing them in as well. Hope to get a few more pics as well.

Jay
JayM

Post by JayM »

OK, a little more progress now that the weather has warmed up a bit (actually quite a bit, and we are having near record high temps). It looks like a boat now, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, or maybe the water at the end, since I hope to get her wet pretty soon.

I got the bulkheads and seat platform glued in and added some strips at the top to glue the deck to. That was last week.

Footbraces glued in and drying. I added fiberglass patches over the bases but didn't get any pics of that step.

I got the deck glued on and the channel around the top filled with filleting blend, and today trimmed the edges of the deck in a few places and sanded the seam smooth. I filled in a few places and will sand more tomorrow.

I weighed it and am a little disappointed that it came out somewhat heavier than I liked, about 47 pounds. That is with the seat platform and footbraces, and 3 coats on the bottom with graphite, so that added some weight as well. Next is more sanding and glassing the top. I have some 4oz cloth I will use for that. I think the weight was probably because I used some foam brushes that I had to apply most of the epoxy. Will definitely use a roller next time and try to be frugal applying it. Oh well, live and learn.

I am planning on cutting hatches and adding things like rod holders and deck bungees after a test paddle.

Jay
toolman

Post by toolman »

looks good Jay keep up the good work and good luck on your launch
JayM

Post by JayM »

More pics.

Getting ready to glass the deck on.

First coat of epoxy on.

After a lot of sanding and another couple of coats of epoxy, I masked off part of the deck and coaming and painted them black. Partly to hide a couple of places that I sanded through the surface ply :D .

I still need to add the deck bungies and rod holders, cut the hatches, and figure out how I want to attach and seal them. The rear hatch I want to be easily accessible so I can put any fish I catch in there. Then even more sanding and a few coats of varnish.

Now off for a test paddle. I will post those in the About and Out section.

Jay
JayM

Post by JayM »

I finally got the hatches cut, and put on deck bungies, handles, and some other stuff.

Front hatch marked and ready to cut.

Hatch cut out.

Fitting the supports for the front hatch.

Fitting the supports for the rear hatch.

Rear hatch done, with rod holders and rear handle.

Front hatch and deck bungie.

I carved some small pulls to grab the hatches and epoxied them on. I also added some side bungies that have a small hook in the center. I can lay the paddle or fishing rod on the side and pull the bungie over it to hold it in place. I'm planning on painting all of the wooden blocks for those black to match the coaming. I also tethered the hatches with bungies below the deck to keep from losing them. I have a small plastic tub that fits in the rear hatch to hold fish when I go.

I wanted to take a couple of small boxes for fishing tackle, so I added velcro strips with a sticky back on the inside of the hull next to the seat on each side. That way they are easily accessible but secure at the same time.

Tackle box.

Tackle box velcro.

I'm planning it's first fishing trip for tomorrow. It looks like there is a good chance of rain :( , so I'll just have to see if the weather holds up.

Jay
toolman

Post by toolman »

Very well done Jay ,you did an outstanding job.I was thinking of putting something in for tackle as well I like your idea!