Posting pictures in the forum

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Posting pictures in the forum

Post by jem »

I'm going to develop some instructions for posting pictures in the forum. I'll try and add some examples images to go along with this text.

To get your pictures to show up in the forum, they must be uploaded to web. If you don't have your own webpage, there's plenty of free picture hosting websites that will let you upload as many pictures as you want at no cost. http://www.snapfish.com and http://www.photobucket.com are among my personal favorites but there's many more.

The JEM Watercraft forum is not set up so you can upload pictures because the picture hosting sites like the one listed above do so much more for you than the JEM forum software could.

Get you pictures uploaded somewhere on the web so it has it's own link. The picture must not be more than 800 x 800 pixels. Pictures bigger than that take forever to display for the forum users with slower web connection speeds. The free picture hosting sites allow you to resize your photos.

Copy and paste the link to your picture. Highlight the link (like you were about to copy it again),

Next, click the "Img" box. When you click the box, the forum software puts the code "img" at the very front of your link and "/img" at the very back of your link.

Click "preview" (the tab to the left of the "Sumbit" tab) to see if you did this correctly. If you did it correctly, your picture shows up. The forum software gets picky about spaces so if your picture doesn't display, you might have an extra space between your link and the [img] code that needs removing.

By having your link coded in this manner, the forum software knows to display your pictures.

Try it out. If you have any issues, just ask for help.
-Matt. Designer.
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Posting pictures in the forum

Post by David Kopera »

The instructions work great, if you upload to photobucket. This site allows the resizing needed to get the pictures to load in your post. A little experimenting will help get the job done.

Happy posting.......Thanks Matt!!!
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

Hey guys,
It seems that I need a little help. I've uploaded my pics to photobucket and re-sized them to 800x600.
When I try to submit the update of my build, it keeps telling me that the size of the picture can't be determined. What am I doing wrong?
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Matt has a size limit for pictures , yours might be to big ..........Try 640 x 480........

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
cjbfisher

Post by cjbfisher »

Thanks Chuck.
The instructions above say 800x800 is max, so it should work at 800x600.
Just tried posting a 400x300 in this reply, but got the same response. Any other ideas?
Chris
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

can you post the link to your picture?
-Matt. Designer.
cjbfisher

Post by cjbfisher »

cjbfisher

Post by cjbfisher »

Ok,
So I can post the link, but when I try to put the link between the img tags, it doesn't work.
I'm a bit of a technological dunce, so can anyone help me?
Chris
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

go to your pic in photo bucket run your mouse over it,drop down to image code left click and it will say copy, then go to your post and right click and hit paste that should do it.
Ron
cjbfisher

Post by cjbfisher »

Thanks Ron. All good now.
Cheers,
Chris