Upcoming Sabalo build in Australia - Now Started

Builder show and discuss their progress.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: Upcoming Sabalo build in Australia - Now Started

Post by rodot »

I bought mine from the US when the dollar was up around $1.10. Cost me a smidgen over $500 including shipping. If you are interested, I'll PM you the site.
Like Pete, I was quoted $800 for the unit with standard fins, and then another $100ish for the turbo fins. Whilst I like to support the local guys, in this situation, there's no contest.
Thanks mate, but SWMBO has a lot of chores lined up for me after my current build and so a mirage drive is very much on the back burner. I have to agree with the overseas purchaces. I too would like to support my local merchants, but when the price is so high so as to cover thier insatable greed, of course I will shop elsewhere. I recently purchased a camera from Hong Hong 3 days delivery time for $330 which was listed at Harvey Norman fon $799. A no brainer.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

cjbfisher wrote: bought mine from the US when the dollar was up around $1.10. Cost me a smidgen over $500 including shipping. If you are interested, I'll PM you the site.
Like Pete, I was quoted $800 for the unit with standard fins, and then another $100ish for the turbo fins. Whilst I like to support the local guys, in this situation, there's no contest. I've pretty much saved the cost of the kayak by purchasing the drive unit overseas.

Cheers,
Chris
wouldn't mind the name of that site, still need to convince myself I need one but building a Blue fin soon and it's definitely inn the plans for a mirage drive;
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

Progress!!!!! WooooHoooo!!!!
I got to do a bit over the Christmas break. I finished off all of my templates. Marked and cut out all of my parts, and started stitching her together. I was a little unhappy with the ply that I got, as I had intended to have a clear finish on the whole kayak. Whilst it is very light in weight, it is also light in colour. So I'll paint the outside right up to the gunwhales, and I'm using a nicer (but slightly heavier) ply for the decks, cockpit and tankwell. These will be clear finished.

Once stitched, she was flipped, tack welded, wire ties removed, and gaps filled in.
Flipped again, and started glassing inside. I did this in three sections, so that I could leave some frames in to help with the shape. I started with the tankwell section, then moved up to the bow section. This allowed me to keep the cockpit frames in and hold a reasonable shape while the glass cured. Then I re-installed the tankwell frame, and a couple of temporary braces up front so that I could do the centre section.

Originally I was going to install a mirage drive, but changed my mind, as I want to use this in the surf and I think it will be more trouble than it's worth. Oh well, I'll just have to build another for the estuaries. I was also going to go with 4oz cloth on both the inside and outside, but after seeing how light it was, I went with Matts recommendation of 6oz.

Taping of the frames was next. I am making a minor modification to the cockpit frame to allow for a large console/hatch to access the forward area. I cut out the centre section of frame 1, and the console will end up coming back to frame 2, be the full width between the two main frames, and the same height as the front deck.

When finished, I hope it will end up something like this.

This is where I'm currently up to, and I'll post more as I progress.

Cheers,
Chris
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

CJ
Looking good , keep posting and posting pics.
Ron
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I like the console idea. I think if I built another one I would do something similar. I have a smaller console and it is better than none at all but a bigger one would offer more flexibility re storage and access. Great thinking!

I also like the idea of keeping the bulkheads in place while you glass. I found that there was a tendency for the hull to spread a bit when I glassed mine and it didn't come back exactly right later on, which caused me a bit of pain to get it all straight and square, which I didn't totally achieve at the bow. Every little thing you can do to ensure that things remain in place is an advantage.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lighter ply. It will look great when it's finished even with the lighter colour I'm sure. :D :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

Over the last few days I have gotten the top panels stitched on, then tack welded and glued.

And have made a start on getting the cockpit sorted. Still trying to sort out this console/hatch. Photo of the cockpit cut out for the console/hatch.

Not sure about leaving the lid level with the front deck. I think it will be too high, and might make it hard to get rods in there. i may have to angle it back down towards my goolies, so that rods can be slid in easier.

I don't want to lower the back end by too much, but I don't want it to be a pain in the neck to access either. What do you guys think?
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

Nice build. I like the storage idea. You might want to put an angle on the hatch so you can see inside from the sitting position. But leave enough flat on top so you can have a place to sit your beverage of choice on. :D
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

It's looking great so far Chris. The lid for that console should make an ideal spot for a nylon cutting board. What type of ply are you using?

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

Not sure Americans know what Goolies are :) but I think you made your piont :P

MM
Tor

Post by Tor »

It's a month on so I might be a little late with the response, but,

maybe lower the end as you suggested so you can get better access to the front part and also extend it (back toward your goolies) so you have a horizontal surface for the cutting board and the drinks holder, don't make it too tight though as you will benefit by having some space to move/stretch your legs.