Sabalo deck height???

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

Sabalo deck height???

Post by JGood »

Hello
Yesterday I went to a kayak demonstration day put on by a local kayak dealer. I got to test drive many different styles and brands of kayaks. I was happy to find that the Wilderness Systems Tarpons were my favorites. One thing I was not impressed by was the height of the deck on the Tapon 140. I weigh 218 pounds and without any gear in the yak the water level was at the top of the scuppers. If I had gear in it, I would have had water standing on the deck and maybe under the seat. My question is, is the deck of the Sabalo 15 high enough to carry my weight and a good amount of fishing and camping gear without having the deck fill up with standing water? What is the the amount of weight that it takes to raise the water level to the top of the scuppers?
Thanks in advance
Jesse
ps
Matt, when should I be recieving my Sabalo Plans?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Sabalo deck height???

Post by jem »

By deck do you mean the cockpit floor?
-Matt. Designer.
JGood

Post by JGood »

Yes, Matt, I am speaking about the cockpit floor. When I was a younger man, I was a commercial fisherman and I hated having an itchy butt from hours of having a wet behind. I know kayaking can be inheritly wet, but I prefer to stay as dry as possible, especially my behind. (;<{D}>>
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

~225 on board should have the water about level with the top of the footwell scuppers. Just depends on how heavy you build.
-Matt. Designer.
JGood

Post by JGood »

Thanks Matt
How much weight per 1" of depth above the 225lbs level can I add? How deep would the water be in the footwells with the max of 375lbs the boat is designed for? I have personally lost 20 lbs in the last month by biking, kayaking and changing my diet. I hope to get back down to 180 lbs before to many more months, then gear weight won't be as much of an issue.
Have my plans been sent yet?
Jesse (;<{D}>>