Epoxy quality??

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

Epoxy quality??

Post by JGood »

Good Morning again
I have done quite a bit of eshopping for epoxy and I believe US Composites has the best pricing. Extremely lower than some of the more popular brands. My question is, is their epoxy of equal quality of the more expensive brands and what are the differences in the working characteristics and durability. I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible on my first build, in case I am not as talented as I think I am, but I don't want to lessen my chances of success by using inferior products. Your comments and experience with US Composites Epoxy are welcomed. Also, if you have had good experiences with other brands, please share what brand and why you prefer those brands.
Thanks
Jesse
I have learned, the only dumb question, is the one that wasn't asked.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Epoxy quality??

Post by jem »

To me, U.S. composites 3:1 ratio epoxy is about 3.75 on a scale to 1-5 with 5 being the best.

Can't beat the price. Only complaints I have are it smells pretty strong and the 3:1 mix ratio requires more attention to detail.

These guys have a good product http://www.epoxyproducts.com/ but their web page is overwhelming and it's tough to figure what's your choices and options. I've tried their no blush product and liked it.

http://www.raka.com/ provides a good product. I haven't dealt with them in a long while but when I did, service was top-notch.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/supplies/epoxy/index.htm has a selection of different products. Silver Tip is a premium quality epoxy and you pay top $ but it is sooooooooo nice to work with. Keep in mind Duckworks is 3rd party reseller. So if you have tech questions, they are not the OEM of the brands they sell. But if you buy a System Three kit, you can call System Three for questions. marineepoxy is the same stuff raka.com sells. I've heard of a lot of people having service issues with the company that brands marineepoxy (which is not Duckworks). I was one of them. Not an option I'd personally select.

Those are the ones I've dealt with the most.

For someone in your shoes, I'd look at Raka. Best bang for the buck with easiest overall use. And they'll chat with you on the phone to help select a product.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I have only used US composites 2 to 1 no blush ,seems to do a good job , Have heard some folks using 3 to 1 having some problems.
Ron
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

Post by JGood »

Thanks Ron
I was going to use the slow hardener, because I live in SW Florida and it is rarely below 80 degrees. I appreciate the experience you and Matt share. I have only used West Systems epoxies in the past and I like their products, but not their pricing.
Jesse
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

tx river rat wrote:I have only used US composites 2 to 1 no blush ,seems to do a good job , Have heard some folks using 3 to 1 having some problems.
Ron
As a general rule, the higher the mix ratio you go (3:1, 4:1, 5:1) the stronger smell, higher risk of allergic reaction, and higher chance of amine blush.

U.S. Composites 2:1 might be a good choice. I've never personally used it but trust Ron's words.
-Matt. Designer.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

As Ron say's US composites 2-1 works well, plus for you they are based in Florida. Very good service as well.

MM
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

I've been using the US Composites 3:1 and haven't had any issues. The smell is somewhat noticeable, but it hasn't bothered me. I do have good ventilation in my shop plus a 48" fan in a window, so that helps. I also got great service from them.

Jay