Hairie"s South Wind Build.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
kengrome

Post by kengrome »

Mick, if you're correct then reducing the height aft should do the same thing as raising it in front. Do you think this might be a better solution or would it reduce internal capacity too much?

By the way, your [dwforum] write-up about this boat is going to help Matt sell a lot of plans!
Ken Grome
Bagacay Boatworks
www.bagacayboatworks.com
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Ken,

Welcome aboard mate. I just tried to reply to your post on Duckworks but something went wrong I think. Will try again tonight.

Raising the foredeck is an option but I like my boats long, low and sleek with as little as possible wind signature. There is plenty of volume in the aft section to flatten the deck without too much impact on carrying capacity.
I am just not sure if it is worth it. She tracks beautifully in NORMAL conditions as she is. :D
By the way, your [dwforum] write-up about this boat is going to help Matt sell a lot of plans
I hope so. But just to set the record straight, I have no commercial or other interest in Jemwatercraft and receive no commission for my write-up. I build boats for a hobbie. And I choose to build Matts, 1. because he designs fine boats and 2, because he is a gentleman to do business with. In Aussie speak, he is Fair Dinkum. :D

This is the best boat in my shed by far and if Matt decides to release these plans to the public (and I have encouraged him to do this), I believe it will be a winner. You really need to paddle this boat to properly appreciate just how good it is.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Mick is turning into one of my prime design in-putters! :D Definitely a passionate person. Hate to see him passionately ticked off! :shock:

Makes me feel good to hear he's happy with his boat. I'd love to get as much feedback from other customers as I do Mick. Feedback helps me improve the overall quality of the designs and assembly instructions.

Regarding the wind profile, I think I have an easy solution that I'll try and sketch into the "released" version of this design.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Hairie"s South Wind Build.

Post by tx river rat »

I just reread this build thread,awesome is all I can say about Micks builds.
I think we need another fix from Mick before long.
Do you still feel the same way about this boat Mick?
Ron
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

G'day Ron,

Thanks mate, coming from you that means a lot to me.
Do you still feel the same way about this boat Mick?
Yes, I do mate. Of all the great Jem boats that I have built, there are three that absolutely stand out for me.

1. Southwind
2. Okwata
3, Sasquatch.

They are each, magnificent designs in their own right and are without a doubt, the best paddlecraft in my shed. Of the 3, Southwind is the fastest and arguably the most versatile. She will be getting a lot more use in coming months. I will be moving from my home in the coastal interland to a place about 4 minutes walk to an sheltered ocean beach launch site and paddling and fishing the nearby coral reefs nearby. This is a photo of my Laker at the launch site taken a couple of years ago..

I love alll three boats for different reasons, but I think as a solo paddler, Southwind is my pick of them.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Bloody hell Ron - you made me get excited there for a minute. Just for a second I thought Mick was building again - then I noticed all the pages in the thread :roll: .

Guess that means I agree with you about the need for another Mick fix :D .

Mick, commisserations mate - fancy having to live that close to an ideal kayaking spot with coral reefs nearby.
I feel for you. And of course most of what I feel is jealousy :mrgreen: .

Seriously though, how about some trip reports with lots of photos?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

What a beautiful location. Where is it Mick?
Cheers,
Chris
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Mick
I need to remount my transducer, it doesnt shoot through the hull worth beans.
I was thinking of going in and taking a roto tool leaving the outside glass and epoxy and gouging out the inside . then taking cloth and epoxy and putting down several layers.
My question is this do you think the cloth is neccasarry or just epoxy ,remember I jump a lot of logs and rocks.
Ron
Has yours stood up well
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

Thanks guys, the place is here,

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Gatake ... y&t=h&z=15

Bob, the place really is a kayakers paradise and I can't wait to get into it again.

It is about 9 months since I have done any paddling or fishing and am slowly going bloody mad. I need a fix real soon. I have been renovating my old queenslander home. Massive bloody job. Both inside-

and out -

Re a new build - thanks again guys. appreciate it. Matt has drawn me up a very special little pack canoe that he calls Akuna which is Aust. aboriginal for the way forward. I will be building one for Evie and with Matt's very kind permission, also one for myself. I will start the build as soon as I possbly can.

Ron, to answer your question, All I do is grind the inside cloth, resin and ply out of a patch about the size of my transducer leaving only the outside epoxy/cloth on the bottom of the boat and then fill the void with wood flour/epoxy. It works a treat for me.

So far, Southwind has stood up very well

in waters that have destroyed other boats

surfman

Post by surfman »

Oh yea, home work, always fun. Good job on the boat and it looks like you are having a blast paddling it too.
Tight Lines, Steve