Jem Paddle Board 14-32 Project Feb 12 2012 Florida

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Dude
Type of boat I like: pontoon

Jem Paddle Board 14-32 Project Feb 12 2012 Florida

Post by Dude »

Well after months of reading and looking at plans from different companies for a first time builder,I took the plunge,buying the Jem version,not much detailed videos on the web,so I detailed as much as I could as a first time builder,so I could see what changes I need to make ,it has been very educational,Part 1 is done,I still have the deck to do,it should be done in a few weeks. so here you go,comment away !!! http://www.dudesadventures.com :lol:

Materials so far:
Plans $65
44" 4oz cloth roll $60 shipping included
2.5 gal 4:1 Resin kit $140 bought local
Wood Flour 1/2 gallon Pecan $15
Black Resin Dye $10
All wood $75 ish
Sikabond 2 tubes $15
Misc Sand Paper $20
New clamps $30 (you can't have enough clamps)

The Plans were pretty easy to follow,I thought it was kind of funny the last 2 pages(8.5x11) had patterns ,not at scale,but to copy to an 8.5x11 piece of paper for the bow area???

Part 2 will wrap it up,the deck area,built in handles,fishing pole holders,beverage holders,fins,extra coats of resin and air bubble repair ,a paddle and a test run,est 1st weekend in March 2012,then off to the Keys !!!!

Enjoy the video(s)
Dude
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: Jem Paddle Board 14-32 Project Feb 12 2012 Florida

Post by neon14 »

Thats a great video! I cant wait for part 2. Your really going to like the board. It paddles like a dream. Its so stable I sometimes take a lawn chair with me when I go fishing. I wound up putting a couple of 2" deep by 18" long skegs at the rear instead of a conventional surfboard fin. Worked out great and they protect the board if you have to drag it across the ground or something. I'm looking forward to the next video, cant wait to see that thing in the water.

Will
Dude

Post by Dude »

Skegs might make more sense for my river,you gotta photo of yours installed??

thanks
dude
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Here you go.
Have not looked at the bottom in a while. Looks like I have a small trouble spot that I will have to address. Its pretty scratched up. Im going to replace these skegs soon, they are about half way worn down!

And here is a little dolly I made that fits between the fins.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Thanks bro,
That is exactly what I was thinking too,I made a few other dollys for my other light boats,I was thinking of putting a little aluminum c channel around the skegs as a drag bar,I figured I would drag it sometime.. I am sure my bottom will look just like that,lots of oyster bars around here.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Well,I glassed the top yesterday,my glassing techniques have improved quite a bit,less resin is better for sure,will do a few repairs to the bow area,that part has been kind of a pain to get set up right but now that the whole board is covered,I can make the fix,should still be on track to launch next weekend,Part 2 video is in the bag !!! Gonna make a paddle this weekend and attach hardware.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Part 2 is done,just put it in the water !!!!!!

http://www.dudesadventures.com
or
http://youtu.be/xVxlxH_PAnw

It went well,tried to flip it over,bout fell off..ha ha
very stable,can't wait for the weekend to spend more time on it,gonna try to go fishing..
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Thats cool! Glad you got that thing out on the water. Looks really good. You live in a nice place, lots of water. And you have manatee in your front yard! We dont have those in central Texas. And you got the Daytona 500! Had a little fire there last weekend :lol: Goodyear blimps! Great video! You have got me thinking about doing a video blog of my next build. We will see what happens. I hope you enjoy your board as much as I have mine, and I think you are right. You should build a kayak next!
Dude

Post by Dude »

Thanks,I hope you approve of my skegs..ha ha,ya I am on the intercoastal waterway,about 1 mile from the beach,I get sharks,dolphins and all kinds of stuff swimming by back here in the canals,it is pretty interesting sometimes. I picked up some wheels a few weeks ago to make the dolly like yours,I don't have to go far,but it is just heavy enough that I don't want to carry it over.
Thanks for your ideas.
Dude
neon14

Post by neon14 »

You fall off that thing yet? :lol: