? Your favorite brand of epoxy for S&G ?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

? Your favorite brand of epoxy for S&G ?

Post by LesForgue »

Among epoxy brands, are there significant differences in good results, working properties, costs?

Probably my final choice will be most influenced by what kind is avalable within a reasonable distance from home; that concern might limit my choice to one.

but i would like to draw from the valuable experience available here on the forum as to which kinds are preferrd and why.

Thanks for helping out an old beginner!
Les Richard Forgue
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: ? Your favorite brand of epoxy for S&G ?

Post by David Kopera »

Progressive Epoxy works great for me. Simply 2:1 ratio using their Basic No Blush and the price is not bad either $89.00 for 1.5 gal. 1 gal epoxy 1/2 gal hardner.

I have used it on my Laker 13 and my Bucanneer with no problems, even in the Florida heat.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I use the epoxy from Raka since they are here in Florida and just a short distance south of my place.... one day delivery. Plus when you call you normally get Larry ( the Owner ) and he likes to build wood boats for his personal use.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

us composites 3 gal kit 128.00
2 to 1 ratio no blush
I have had good luck with it.
Ron
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

A few people on an Aus wood working forum say that it doesn't matter so much which one you use but it is better to stick with whichever choice you make. This is because you learn how to work with it and changing to a different brand can mean you go backward on the learning curve. I met 2 other boat builders from that forum and found that 1 uses WEST, the other uses Bote Cote and I use FGI and all of us agree that we would not bother trying each others brands for this reason.

The brand I use is a 5:1 ratio and this makes it tricky doing very small batches as the part B needs to be measured more precisely. In this situation a 2:1 or 3:1 would be easier to use.

Something to watch for is solvents in the epoxy - there should not be any.

My impression is that the slow versions are best for our application. I tried a fast part B of my brand once and found it blushed plus it is not as easy to work as it stiffens faster (I am slow). I know climate plays a part but in my location even in winter I will only use the slow part B.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
toolman
Type of boat I like: the Laker freedom strip

Post by toolman »

I use the System 3 ,2:1 ratio .Easy to use and goes on well.Works well with foam rollers on the fill coats. Good luck
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

When I bought the gear to build mine the guy had Bote Cote, so I used that. It turns out it's considered the best epoxy available in Australia by those who have used it. It's pretty well idiot proof. Easy 1:1 ratio and doesn't blush, can use it in sub 10 deg C with no problems and cures quickly in mild temperatures. I did did use West System to build my outriggers and I didn't like it much. I used it in winter and had to take my project inside to get it to cure.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!