using resin and tape instead of wood flour

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
scbike
Type of boat I like: ENO Canoe

using resin and tape instead of wood flour

Post by scbike »

Hey Matt,
I am making the ENO canoe.
I am using West Marine Polyester Resin.

Question - in your tutorial you stated using wood flour -however, can i just use polyester resin with fiberglass tape applied to inner hull and outer hull which is the same as what I used for the butt joints instead of the wood flour in between the seems ?

Thanks,
Greg
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: using resin and tape instead of wood flour

Post by jem »

I don't recommend using polyester resin.

You need the filler/thickener (woodflour) in order to create a rounded fillet which is required for structural integrity. Resin by itself won't hold that shape.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:I don't recommend using polyester resin.

You need the filler/thickener (woodflour) in order to create a rounded fillet which is required for structural integrity. Resin by itself won't hold that shape.
Also , with what Matt said.........
The fillet , besides making the boat's seams look nice , rounds out the seams of the panels. It fills them in so the glass has a smooth surface to bond to without the normal sharp angles at the junction of the seams.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
scbike

Post by scbike »

Thanks guys for your help...the wood flour definitely helped alot. As you noted the wood flour gives the rounded effect on the sides.

Have another question though...the outside is fine / sanded / prepped and ready for resin with fiberglass cloth...

The inside hull where the seems join -some areas are raised by 1/32" to 1/16" of which sanding smoothes out the edges; however to lessen the amount of sanding could I just use wood glue to smooth out the adjoing seems ? (natuarlly having to sand the areas of where wood glue wood be placed )

If wood glue is fine to use for the interior instead of resin/wood flour what type of wood glue would you recommend that
fibergloss cloth and resin can go over it ?

Thanks
Greg
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I suppose you could use woodglue with filler but now you are introducing 2 different materials and expecting them to bond. Not a good idea. You already have the epoxy and woodflour, why not just use that?

Also, if you get a sharp cabinet scraper and some elbow grease, those little ridges are gone very quickly.
-Matt. Designer.
scbike

Post by scbike »

good thought...i used wood flour.