Glue for gunwhales

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
scbike
Type of boat I like: ENO Canoe

Glue for gunwhales

Post by scbike »

I am putting on the gunwhales what type of glue is good..I've researched Gorilla Glue and Titebond III but wasn't sure what is best
as well as if you have any other suggestions.
I've looked through some of the other postings and most say glue but not giving the type of glue ?
Thanks
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Glue for gunwhales

Post by jem »

Epoxy mixed with some filler to a ketchup-like consistency will provide the strongest bond.

This should be detailed in your assembly instructions. What model are you building?
-Matt. Designer.
scbike

Post by scbike »

Im making the ENO Canoe
The instructions as per page 21 are little confusing...previous pages you've stated utilizing resin and wood flour however an exerpt
from page 21 states "the gunwales need to be glued directly to the wood surface for the surest bond, they should not be glued on top of fiberglass". I took that as using wood glue to attache the gunwales to the plywood hull.

So, I guess your saying using resin and wood flour to line the seems of the gunwhales to the plywood hull ?
Also, would you suggest wood screws being screwed from the outside hull inward going through the outside gunwhale, plywood hull, and inside gunwale for added strength ?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

scbike wrote:
So, I guess your saying using resin and wood flour to line the seems of the gunwhales to the plywood hull ?
yes
scbike wrote: Also, would you suggest wood screws being screwed from the outside hull inward going through the outside gunwhale, plywood hull, and inside gunwale for added strength ?
Woodscrews can be used for extra strength. One every 12" or so should be plenty. Be sure to use stainless steel and best to overcoat them with epoxy to seal them off.
-Matt. Designer.
scbike

Post by scbike »

thanks Matt...and thank you for patience in me asking the questions...this is a senior class project and just wanted it to come out
looking terrific so I can get an "A". :-)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

scbike wrote:
Also, would you suggest wood screws being screwed from the outside hull inward going through the outside gunwhale, plywood hull, and inside gunwale for added strength ?
Some of the guy's use screws to hold things together.

Myself I like to only use the epoxy to hold everything together and to skip anything metal so the boat ends up all wood and nothing metal in it.
Paint some epoxy on the side where you want to attach the strip , then put some epoxy on the strip and attach it with "C" Clamps , let it set up overnight and when the "C" Clamps are removed it will have bonded together. You do need a lot of the clamps to do the job right , as we like to say ... You can never have to many clamps , since they are from 6 inches to 9 inches apart.

The epoxy serves another useful factor by sealing the wood to stop any water from entering between the strip and the side panel of the boat. There aren't any gaps between the two that way. I also coat the rest of the strip ( after it is attached ) with one or two coats of epoxy to seal it against any moisture.

Chuck.......
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

scbike wrote:thanks Matt...and thank you for patience in me asking the questions...this is a senior class project and just wanted it to come out
looking terrific so I can get an "A". :-)
No problem. Good luck and let's see some pictures when you are all done.
-Matt. Designer.