Foot braces/rudder controls

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Foot braces/rudder controls

Post by cjbfisher »

I'm hopefully going to get a chance to work on my Sabalo over the coming long weekend. One of the things that I hope to do, is fit my foot braces/rudder controls, but I'm not sure where to position them. The type I have has a fixed foot brace, and the top half pivots for the rudder control. The distance fore/aft is not really a concern. I can work that out reasonably easily. It is the height above the cockpit floor, and the angle compared to the floor and gunwhale. Has anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks,
Chris
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Foot braces/rudder controls

Post by john the pom »

Sit on the floor, on a cushion that is as thick as your seat is high. Put your feet against the wall move about till you are comfortable. legs should be slightly bent. Take a note of where the balls of your feet and your toes come to height wise. Take into account the slope of the kayak floor in relation to where your heels will go.
Cheers John
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

comfort with function is what you need. Ideally the balls of you feet should be mid-pedal.
-Matt. Designer.
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

Thanks guys, sat down yesterday and had a bit of a play around with positions. Hope I got it right, because I've now cut out the cockpit for the recceses. :? :?
Cheers,
Chris