stripped Freedom 15 as a SOT?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

stripped Freedom 15 as a SOT?

Post by JGood »

Hi Matt
Through some delays, I am finally finishing my Sabalo 15. After 40 years f using power tools with no accidents, I let a trim router kick back and run a 1/2" top bearing pattern bit up my left thumb. It hit just above my thumb nail and went all the way up above the top knuckle leaving a 1/2 inch of hamburger in its wake. Fortunately the tendons were only knicked and after 3 hours the surgeon was able to stitch it back together. It is completely healed now and looks remarkably better than I would have believed. My father always told me " If ya know better, do better and things will work better" I knew better and it didn't turn out well. Next, I want to either do another Sabalo 15 as an ss&g or put a SOT cockpit in a Stripped Freedom 15. I have studied the hull shapes and I think the Freedom may actually have more flat hull in the water than the Sabalo. What do you think? I believe a stripped SOT would get alot of attention in my area. I have not decided if I would want a tank well or not. Maybe a tank well option would be a good idea.
I would appreciate the opinions of Matt and any Freedom15 owners.
Thanks
Jesse
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: stripped Freedom 15 as a SOT?

Post by jem »

If a 325 max payload and 27.5" beam by 15'6 long is acceptable, I could send you plans for a strip Wadefish SOT tomorrow. It's one of my drawing board projects that the prototype builder didn't get started on.

If you need bigger, then it's a custom project.
-Matt. Designer.
JGood

Post by JGood »

Hey Matt
Do you have any preview drawings of the stripped Wadefish that you could post? Like the ones you post for your other designs. I would like to compare the Wadefish with the Freedom as far as bottom shape is concerned. I like the smooth flowing lines of the Freedom. I think it would be a very quiet hull with minimum slap noises from waves. Sneeking up on tailing Redfish requires stealth in shallow water.
Both boats are about the same size dimensionally.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I'll post them later this evening.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

having some issues uploading pictures. I posted them off our facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 106&type=3

-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The name of the game with SOTs is matching the displacement of the hull at a given depth with the subfloor height.

The original customer wanted a narrow touring kayak. Problem with that is a narrow hull is less stable by nature. Make it a SOT with the paddlers entire body being raise 3-4 inches, it becomes even less stable.

So to get max displacement without it being completely flat, I used flat panel sections with rounded chines. There is also constantl flare going up the hull until about 1/2 the height.

It should feel stable to an experienced paddler with moderate balancing ability.
-Matt. Designer.
JGood

Post by JGood »

I have not built a stripped boat, yet. Do you think the small radius of those chines will be difficult to get strips to conform? I think narrower than normal strips thru the chines would be easier. What is the price for these plans? I may try it for the challenge. I would rather it had been the wider Wadefish stripped.
Thanks for posting these drawings.
Jesse
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The tighter curves will be a little harder to strip out. But as you said, narrower strips in that area would be better.

That's the only strip SOT I currently have complete. The go wider, I'd have to start from scratch.
-Matt. Designer.
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

You could always assemble the wadefish with stripped pannels...