Filleting/taping order, battens, gunwhales, etc.

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
ABar
Type of boat I like: Iroquois canoe

Filleting/taping order, battens, gunwhales, etc.

Post by ABar »

Hello - I'm new to canoe building, and just finished stitching the panels together for the 15' Iroquois. I've read and re-read the instructions, tutorials/post and still have a few minor questions about the next few steps. Sorry if this is redundant ..
The main question is the order for gluing things together now. It seems I should put the masking tape over the interior seams, then flip the hull upside down on the sawhorses and fillet the exterior seams between the stitches. Let cure, then remove the stitches and fill in the gaps and holes. Then I wasn't clear if I should fiberglass tape the exterior seams next or flip it right-side up and fillet the interior seams. I was going to fillet the interior next, then flip it back to fiberglass the exterior then flip it again to make taping the interior the last step. Does that sound okay?
Before doing the above, it looks like the battens are placed right over the temp frames, but as the frames are as high as the hull, can I just put them right in front of the frames?
Finally, the instructions call for 1" x 1" gunwhales, but I can't find wood that size, could I use a 1X 2 or something close, similar to what I used for the battens?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Alex
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Filleting/taping order, battens, gunwhales, etc.

Post by jem »

1) If needed fill in the seams from the interior before glassing exterior seams. You don't want to glass over a void.

2) The battens.... are these for the thwarts? If so, ok to located as you stated.

3) 1x1 is the minimum recommended. More is ok.
-Matt. Designer.
ABar
Type of boat I like: Iroquois canoe

Re: Filleting/taping order, battens, gunwhales, etc.

Post by ABar »

Thanks for the quick reply Matt - off to mix up some resin in chilly New Hampshire!