Help me pick a boat

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
InfamousKW
Type of boat I like: Recreational kayak

Help me pick a boat

Post by InfamousKW »

Hello All,

I have been looking at boat plans on this site for several months now and am finally ready to try my hand at building one. Problem is, I can't decide on which boat will work best for me so I figured I would enlist your expertise.

I am most definitely a novice and don't have a ton of woodworking experience. A simple, straightforward build will be important. I plan on using the boat mainly on the lakes and small rivers here in NC. I also go to the coast frequently and would like to have the ability to use the boat in coastal waterways but not necessarily in the surf. Mainly will be used for fishing, small day trips, etc. Most of the time it will just be me in the boat, but would like the capability of taking my 6 year old with me from time to time if possible.

Initially I was going to build a Laker kayak for it's simple build and versatility. But I wouldn't be able to put anyone else in the boat. I then thought about building a pirogue, again for simplicity and ability to take a small passenger. Would that meet my other needs?

So I ask all of you, which of those boats do you think would better suit my needs? Or is there another boat I have not considered that might be better? Any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks.....
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Help me pick a boat

Post by jem »

I'd have a look at the Touring Pirogue TV at the bottom of this page:

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/PirogueCompare.php

Sounds like a good fit if 15' in length is ok.
-Matt. Designer.
InfamousKW
Type of boat I like: Recreational kayak

Post by InfamousKW »

Thanks, Matt. That is the boat I was leaning toward building. 15 feet might be a little long unless storage outdoors isn't an issue. At that size, is it cumbersome to car top, etc for one person? Otherwise, seems like a good fit.

I am located here in Jamestown, looks like we are neighbors. Any recommendations on local places to find wood at a good price? I have found a couple things that might work at home depot but want to see what else is available here.

Thanks again for your help
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I have over 2000 miles on my T-V and it has been treated rough, stored outdoors all its life.
It is a great boat.
You might look at the ss@g type building if you have problems finding wood.
Ron
jackjama
Type of boat I like: pirogue tv

Post by jackjama »

While I have not completely finished my tv I can answer some of your questions. I have put it on roof racks with no problem. I was able to do it with no assistance which was one of my requirements. I have taken it on a quick paddle and it performed as expected. This boat could definitely handle a small passenger now and then.

I went off and put some decks on it that where not not in the plans. Otherwise it would have been a quick build. The plans are well written and straight forward.
Jackjama

Freedom 17
Pirogue TV 15-29 in progress
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

You might try the Touring Pirogue. A great boat for a beginner builder. Easy to build, very versatile, and can easily be used as a tandem for you and the kid.
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

I took my 6 yr. old grandson fishing in my tv 15-29 and it is fine as long as he sat still...him moving arround and leaning was another story....the 15-32 would be best...I was able to stand in the 32 I just finished...