glassing 1/8" ss&g mahogany panels for sabalo 15

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

glassing 1/8" ss&g mahogany panels for sabalo 15

Post by JGood »

Hi all
I was recently given over 400 pieces of salvaged Honduran Mahogany. The wood was originally accordian style room dividers in the Ringling Hotel, built in 1926, in Sarasota, Florida. The pieces are all 7/16" thick and after ripping the profiles from either edge 2 7/8" wide. Mahogany is 41 lbs per cubic ft and WR Cedar is 23 so to be the same weight of cedar, I need to make my strips about 5/32" thick. When I rip these mahogany pieces with a 7 1/4" Diablo blade I get 3/16" by 7/8" strips. Then I built a special jig to cut 12:1 scarf joints and joined each pair of rips into long strips. After glueing SS&G panels and cleaning them in a planer they are winding up 1/8" thick. Here is my questions, should I coat the inside of the panels with epoxy resin only or leave them unfinished prior to assembly and tape the joints after filleting? Should I glass with 6 oz and one coat of epoxy and then tape the joints after filleting. I have also considered 4 oz, 3 oz and 1 1/2 oz cloth. Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated. I want to keep this kayak as light as possible without compromising strength.
Thanks
Jesse
PS Matt, I owe you for another license to build this boat from my original drawings, but I am not sure how to do it. There is no provision for this with paypal on this site.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: glassing 1/8" ss&g mahogany panels for sabalo 15

Post by jem »

JGood wrote:Here is my questions, should I coat the inside of the panels with epoxy resin only or leave them unfinished prior to assembly and tape the joints after filleting?
Do you mean prior to stitching?
JGood wrote: Should I glass with 6 oz and one coat of epoxy and then tape the joints after filleting. I have also considered 4 oz, 3 oz and 1 1/2 oz cloth. Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated. I want to keep this kayak as light as possible without compromising strength.
You fillet joints/seams first, then apply fiberglass. 4-ounce is strong enough but not as durable against abrasion. You could add some 2" wide extra wear strips along the keel to address that.
JGood wrote: PS Matt, I owe you for another license to build this boat from my original drawings, but I am not sure how to do it. There is no provision for this with paypal on this site.
Do you use paypal?
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I made most of my boats from 1/8th inch wood and I always epoxy saturated the wood after the boat was together and just before I glassed it.
If you epoxy the strips before they are stitched together they will be harder to bend.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

Post by JGood »

Matt
Thanks for responding. Yes, I was asking about glassing the panels on the inner side prior to stitching. I was concerned that because they were only an 1/8" thick they wouldn't be strong enough to hold up to the rigors of stitching. I have since that time sanded and handled them enough that I think those fears were unfounded. I would already have them stitched , but I caught the flue or something and don't have the energy.
Yes, I have used paypal, but only to buy things with site provided forms. I think I would rather mail a money order to your address that was on the package that my plans came in.
Chuck
Thanks for the response. Your method is exactly what I plan to do. This Mahogany is surprisingly tough and the Titebond II that I glued the strips together with is more than strong enough to hold until the epoxy seals everything.
Thanks again
Jesse
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

[quote="
Yes, I have used paypal, but only to buy things with site provided forms. I think I would rather mail a money order to your address that was on the package that my plans came in.
[/quote]

PM me and I'll send you a different address. That, or I can send you a paypal money request.
-Matt. Designer.