thwart placement? Touring Pirogue T

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
puddy
Type of boat I like: Canoe or kayak

thwart placement? Touring Pirogue T

Post by puddy »

I'm now to the point of needing to place my thwarts on my touring pirogue T. I'm not sure where to place them. My decks are going to be about 18" front and back if that matters.
I'm just not sure where the best place to sit will be, having never paddled a boat like this.
Any suggestions on thwart placement?
thanks a lot,

Chris
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: thwart placement? Touring Pirogue T

Post by jem »

Ideal seat placement for level trim will be with your hips about 6" aft of the bottom panel seam. With the decks glued and fiberglassed into place, you can take her our for an easy paddle to establish your ideal seating position. The tumblehome panel makes the hulls very stiff and resistant to "folding". Place the thwart back your back or in front of you ( leave room for your legs to easily slip under).

Nothing says you can't have 2 thwarts about 5' apart. A good strategy for strapping down on top of your car.
-Matt. Designer.
puddy
Type of boat I like: Canoe or kayak

Post by puddy »

OK. In my case the space from deck to deck is roughly eleven feet. So will I be OK structurally if I place my thwarts three feet from either deck, giving me a five foot space in between? That should give me plenty of flexility with my seating.
thanks a lot for the reply,

Chris
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

plenty strong.
-Matt. Designer.