Neons Sabalo 12

Builder show and discuss their progress.
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: Neons Sabalo 12

Post by neon14 »

56 pounds or 25 and something kgs for my overseas friends. This is before finish and rigging. A little more than what I thought but within the plans. If I would have used marine ply, or all cedar, and been not so sloppy with the glass work inside the hull I am sure it would have been lighter. Still going to be lighter than its plastic counterpart. And lots better looking!
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Got a fill coat on it.
Its going to need infinity sanding. Lots and lots of sanding..............

I forgot to post this pic the other day.
Had a roll of 2" tape laying around. Just went right through the scupper holes and into the cockpit and tank well with it. Worked good.

Oh, wont be able to work on it tomorrow. Going tubing :D Gonna hit the Guadalupe this time.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

So I decide to go fish for a few this afternoon. Start loading up the paddle board and then I think, why not take sabalo? Put her in the back of the truck and head to the river.
First thing that I notice about the sabalo is that it is faster than what I expected. Thats really cool! Super stable. Tracks very well. It defiantly meets all my expectations! Made the mile trip up river to my favorite spot and look what happened.
First fish for this boat!

This thing is looking good :D
This was a good trip because it gave me a chance to sort things out. Figured out seat mounting, foot brace location, and a few other things.

Oh yea, I am standing up :D
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

Great looking boat Neon....Hay now you can hang up those paddle boards :lol:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

neon14 wrote:...First thing that I notice about the sabalo is that it is faster than what I expected. Thats really cool! Super stable. ...
Over the years I've been developing methods to use the hull contour lines (my design software spits these out quickly) to predict better speed and stability. Implemented a lot of those methods on this design. Very pleased to hear it worked out. 8)
-Matt. Designer.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Seriously Matt? What kind of boats are you designing?
Things are starting to get real fishy around here :lol:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'm telling ya... they look so good they fish want to be around and in them. :mrgreen:
-Matt. Designer.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Seat mounted, some little wood handles on the sides to help carry it, and some homemade foot pegs.
Also started working on a paddle.
Used a plastic blade as a guide.
Lucky for me awhile back I built a couple SUP paddles, I made a couple extra birds mouth paddle shafts just for a moment like this!

I would sure like to finish putting this paddle together tomorrow, but I cant. You guys are not going to believe this. I'm going tubing in the Frio tomorrow. Again :D
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Its a little slow around here so I think I will post something kind of crazy. Sitting on the rear deck, bow out of the water :lol:
This is something that I have done for years with plastic kayaks Just goofing off floating down the river with friends. Its always been sketchy. But not now! Super stable!
neon14

Post by neon14 »

So I decide to go out fishing again and look what happens. Things are getting out of control over here!
But I need to stop fishing and start finishing :P

Bad thing is I have to go out of town town this weekend. Sound familiar lol. 20 year class reunion. Going to see what everybody looks like :lol: