Retro-fitting scupper?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: Retro-fitting scupper?

Post by PiratePete »

goanywhere wrote:
Thanks PiratePete. This is how I was thinking of doing it. I like the pulley idea.

When you are placing the tubes, how do you fix them in place? I assume you fillet them, but how do you do it? I had a good look at my Sabalo yesterday and I think it would be a job to get my hand in there far enough back to apply filleting compound. I was thinking of duct taping that end in place then using a long tube on a syringe and squeezing the fillet around the hole, and then letting gravity flow it into place around the tube. But that will only work for one end, I won't be able to get filleting material on the inside at other end. I was thinking maybe sanding it down flush then glassing over the hole, then after it cures cut out the scupper hole, then tidying it all up after that.
I fitted the tubes in my second Wadefish after I had the ply all glued together but before I glassed it.

I had access through the holes for the screw hatches I fitted.

First I worked out where I wanted the scuppers & drilled a hole with a hole saw that was slightly larger than the fibre glass tube I had made.

I then made up w washers out of ply that by using 2 hole saws, 1 the same size as the one I used on the hull & the other about 50mm in diameter.

Once I had the tube cut slightly over length I slipped it into 1 side of the hull then the 2 washers & finally pushed the tube through the second skin of the hull.

By reaching inside the acess hatch I then put a good fillet of glue down around the tube & pushed the washer down over it. I let that set & then turned the kayak upside down & did the same with the other washer.

Once that was dry I sanded the tubes flash before I glassed the hull & then drilled the thin piece of glass out once that was dry. I put a few coats of resin over the joint & rounded them of to finish.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

If you want to make easy tubes , shape them out of foam, lay up your glass and epoxy on them and when you are finished and they are cured pour lacker thinner or gas on them the foam will desole and just leave the tubes.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

They make fiberglass tubes to just about any size and they are pretty cheap to buy online.
-Matt. Designer.
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

jem wrote:They make fiberglass tubes to just about any size and they are pretty cheap to buy online.
Buy???????

What's the fun in that. . . . .

It's all about making things isn't it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Well you better start planting those mahogany trees and refining chemicals into epoxy. :P
-Matt. Designer.
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Do mahogany trees grow below the 41st parallel :?: :?: :?: :?: :D :D