Quetico

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Re: Quetico

Post by Mick »

G'day Roger,

You do beautiful work mate. I think your Quetico is going to be an extraordinary boat.

Matt,

What is the load capacity of this one please?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

High end is at 260 on board.
-Matt. Designer.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

I think your Quetico is going to be an extraordinary boat
So do I mate. It looks like it's going fast even sitting on the saw horses.
You do beautiful work mate
Thanks Mick, but not without the occasional hiccups. My missus thinks I've developed tourette syndrome with the frequent outbursts of coarse language. :)

After a two week hiatus attending to family commitments, I am back on the build. So far I have completed glassing the inside of the hull and the underside of the deck. This arvo I hope to make a start on the sheer clamps.

I am hoping I have enough epoxy to finish the boat but it is touch and go. I might have to buy some more and was wondering if it is OK to switch brands mid stream. I am using BoteCote brand and it is not available locally. When possible I do like to support the local guys.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

switching brands shouldn't be an issue in different batches. I wouldn't mix the hardeners together unless you're absolutely sure they are 100% compatible.
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Made a start on the shear clamps today. 2.4 metre lengths of tasmanian oak 20mm x 4mm.

The deck is sitting waiting to be fitted. The site supervisor in the background is sound asleep on the job as usual.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

The hull is complete and is ready to fit the lid. I sat in the hull for a trial fit before glueing in the bulkheads and my feet should just come to rest on the front bulkhead. It would have to be more forward for someone taller than me or if commercial adjustable foot rests were fitted. I can hardly wait to see it with the deck attached.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
echo5000
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Post by echo5000 »

Beautiful boat, great work.
rodot

Post by rodot »

The deck has been tacked in place and it is really starting to take shape now. It was a little bit tricky fitting it because of the steeply angled side panels on the deck. If I tried sitting it in place and pulling it into position with straps it just slid down over the sides of the hull. I had to make several trial fits sanding it down each time until it conformed to the shape of the hull and then hold it in place with masking tape. I used little 3mm spacers I made up, to hold it above the top of the plywood but over the shear clamps on the hull.
Now I just have to finish filling in the seam with thickened epoxy and then the deck will be ready for the saturation coat and fibreglassing.

Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

I dont think I have seen the inside of a boat look this good before! This is going to be one nice looking boat. And your yard is pretty neat too!
rodot

Post by rodot »

The deck is on and the fibreglass has been laid and wetted out. I'll leave it for a few hours now untill it gets tacky and then trim off the bottom edge above the masking tape.

On the finishing straight now :D :D
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico