Wadefish Rod-Pod Concept

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
BigMal
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Wadefish Rod-Pod Concept

Post by BigMal »

Matt,
I'm seriously considering putting a Stealth style "rod pod" into my wadefish 15-32 so that I can store full length rods for surf entries & landings ... I'm still working through the concept in my head and would appreciate some advice.

Here is my basic plan:
Install a long, narrow hatch in the cockpit floor basically from the cockpit peak to the forward scupper.
Cut out "weight saving style" access ways into all the frams forward of the cockpit peak to allow rods to be fed through.

This will effectively create a rod pod which long enough to take 7" long rods and the width between the 2 longitudinal frames.
I am aware that rods will either have to be manouvered around the forward scupper or the scupper relocated (unlikely).
Possibly install extra sides around the "rod pod" to create a fully sealed compartment.

Question:
How much can I remove from the frames before I weaken them too much?
Are you aware of anyone trying this before? Can you see any major flaws in this concept?
"Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone" Bruce McLaren
BigMal

Re: Wadefish Rod-Pod Concept

Post by BigMal »

a possible enhancement ... keeping the same hatch in the cockpit, run 2 x PVC tubes through the three frames. This should stop the need to remove so much of the frames and not sacrifice as much strength.
It will double as protection for the rods when getting tumbled in the surf.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Hi Mal

If you read my build log from here on

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3190&start=73

You will see what I did with my 2 Wadefish.

I know I can fit a 6' 6" rod in there & maybe 7'
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

I had a feeling you might chime in here PiratePete :lol: :lol: I have studied your build log in quite a bit of detail.
I loved what you did but it doesn't suit me fully for a couple of reasons; although your use of the PVC tubes inspired my alternative idea.

1. I'm a large guy so think I will need the full width of the cockpit (i.e. reels sticking out will get in the way of my legs)
2. I'm a paddle kind of guy as opposed to peddles so will need the cockpit sides to mount the rudder peddles. I considered plagerising your rudder hand control but it makes correction difficult while paddling which is when I will likely use it most.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

BigMal wrote:I had a feeling you might chime in here PiratePete :lol: :lol: I have studied your build log in quite a bit of detail.
I loved what you did but it doesn't suit me fully for a couple of reasons; although your use of the PVC tubes inspired my alternative idea.[/qoute]

:D :D :D
BigMal wrote:1. I'm a large guy so think I will need the full width of the cockpit (i.e. reels sticking out will get in the way of my legs)
I find the reels sit under my knees even when paddling.
BigMal wrote:2. I'm a paddle kind of guy as opposed to peddles so will need the cockpit sides to mount the rudder peddles. I considered plagerising your rudder hand control but it makes correction difficult while paddling which is when I will likely use it most.
Foot controls would make my tube almost impossible to use as its surprising how far back you have to reach when putting even a 6' rod away with the tube access right up against the front bulkhead.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

So something like using the longitudinal frames except closer together for a narrower chamber?
-Matt. Designer.
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

My original thought was to use the longitudinal frames as the sides of the rod pod and possibly extend these forward to the front of the boat to form an enclosed space.
My revision will have PVC tubes basically running from the forward scupper to the front of the boat to avoid removing so much of the internal frames.

In both situations I will have a long narrow hatch in the cockpit floor under my legs.

I think I have pretty much answered all my own questions :lol: , the only dilemma I am yet to solve is how to make the hatch so it seals properly and leaves me with a flush surface in the cockpit :idea: .
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

Mal,
Although my build is progressing very slowly, I'm doing the same in my Sabalo.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3421&start=10
Chris
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

In my latest boat I installed a console that is attached to the front bulkhead. My first intent was to use the console as an ice chest but I'm experiencing trouble with the styrofoam seeping. Now I am wondering if it would be better to bore through the bulkhead and have the ability to slip rods into the console fro security and weather protection when fishing salt water.

The console is an easy build and fit.

BigMal

Post by BigMal »

For those that are thinking about this, I could not make it work.

It was not possible to get the rods into the PVC tubes because there was not enough space to play with between the longitudinal frames, although a short 3' rod could fit, so likely with more thought and play someone could make it work.