Noob questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
BrewCity
Type of boat I like: Freedom 11 or Sabalo 12

Noob questions

Post by BrewCity »

Hey everyone! I'm a complete noob when it comes to kayaks and boat building so I'm trying to pick out a first time build. I have pretty much narrowed it down between the Freedom 11 and the Sabolo 12 based on size and plans of use. It will be used on calm lakes and slow moving rivers for fishing and relaxing in Wisconsin. The space I have available for the build will give me enough room to get around both ends of a 12' boat comfortably and will be able to get it outside easily. I have experience in wood working (building furniture and doing inlay) and have all the needed tools. As for size, I'm 5'11" 200lbs. I'm hoping to get started on it by the first of the year and have it done by May with working on it a few hours at night and on the weekends.

Which boat do you think would be easier for a first time build?
Which do you think would be better for an inexperienced paddler?
Which do you think would be better for the planned use (considering the colder climate)?
Are there any books or literature you would recommend reading before I even get started?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Noob questions

Post by jem »

The Feedom is a good choice for all your criteria.

The Sabalo is a Sot On Top and it's self bailing so any water that gets in goes out while the Freedom keeps it until you bail it yourself. Not sure if you need a SOT. Doesn't seem like it but chime in if you do.

Download the free Laker plans. It builds almost identical to the Freedom.

FYI: I grew up in Cudahy, just south of Milwaukee.
-Matt. Designer.
BrewCity
Type of boat I like: Freedom 11 or Sabalo 12

Re: Noob questions

Post by BrewCity »

Thanks for the quick response!
jem wrote:FYI: I grew up in Cudahy, just south of Milwaukee.
I'm sorry :lol:

I'm located between Waukesha and Pewaukee so most of the use would probably be in the Lake Country area with the occasional trip up to Townsend.

After looking at the free plans I think I'll end up going with the Freedom 11 since it's shorter which will give me more room to build and it has a little bit higher weight capacity just in case I need it. For some reason I just like the idea of the SOT kayaks so after I get some practice on the Freedom, I can always give that to the wife and make a different one for myself.