Best SOT for my wife

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
BJB6655
Type of boat I like: Sea kayaks

Best SOT for my wife

Post by BJB6655 »

I have a Strip built Guillemot L and Redfish Spring run. My wife however doesn't like the closed cockpit. I want to build her a SOT. She is a novice paddler and I was wondering which of your models has the best stability combined with good cruising speed.
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

Re: Best SOT for my wife

Post by JGood »

I have only built the Sabalo 15 SOT, so I can't compare it to Matts other designs. I can tell you that I have had many novice paddlers use the three that I have built and they have all been impressed with the speed and stability. I recently went on a paddle with my son, he was paddling a Sabalo and I was paddling my Northwind and it was all I could do to keep up with him. We are almost the same size and strength. I was surprised, I would have thought the Sabalo would have had a hard time keeping up with the Northwind. They are both fast boats. I can stand and fish in my Sabalo and I am over 200 lbs. My daughter can dance in it.
I hope this helps.
Jesse
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Where the NW shines is cruising,it isnt good for sprinting but with a good steady pace it will walk off and leave most boats at the end of a day.
Ron
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

I'm in a similar position with my wife. I have moved house recently & now live 20m from the water when the tide is in.

I have been trying to get her into one of my Wadefish ever since I built them but she wouldn't. The other day when the weather was just about perfect we went for a trip in the Wadefish & she loved it & said I had to build her one. (She always looked at the bigger boats against our small plastic ones & thought they would be harder to handle despite what I said to the contrary)

The only problem is do I build a Wadefish 32 as she is quite hippy & can only just fit in my 27 or do I build a different style altogether?

Her only proviso is that she gets the Mirage peddles too.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

PiratePete wrote:I'm in a similar position with my wife.....as she is quite hippy
Sorry Pete but I'm sure that is the way she will read it :lol: :lol:
Cheers Mike
BJB6655
Type of boat I like: Sea kayaks

Post by BJB6655 »

Thanks for the info. I guess the Sabalo or the Wadefish would be suitable. You are a brave man saying your wifee is a bit hippy. I can only think she doesn't read the forum. Has anyone paddled both the Wadefish models and compared them.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Yes you are right she doesn't read this forum
snipa
Type of boat I like: Laker+Wadefish+Northwind

Post by snipa »

PiratePete wrote:Yes you are right she doesn't read this forum

You HOPE!!!!!!!!
your in trouble if your wrong
Ccheers John
Cheers John