resin research epoxy

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
moony
Type of boat I like: JEM Stalker

resin research epoxy

Post by moony »

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with resin research epoxy. It is made by Greg Loer and is considered the best stuff for surfboard layups. I only ask because I've got quite a bit left over from a surfboard build a couple of years ago.
Which leads me to another question. Is there a shelf life for epoxy? I'll do a test batch before it hits the boat but it still looks ok.
And finally, is there issues with using different epoxies on the same boat? I won't be mixing them, just wondering in case I don't quite have enough and buy something different.

Cheers
Greg
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: resin research epoxy

Post by jem »

I don't have any personal knowledge or experience with them. It looks like they have a good reputation and their epoxy is 2:1 mix which is a good indicator, but not a guarantee, it won't be overly smelly.

Price seem a bit high, but a good deal if it's leftover and already paid for.

Try wetting out a small piece of fiberglass on some plywood and see how it goes. I'd call them and ask about shelf life.

Using 2 different kinds is ok so long as you're not mixing in the same cup when wet. You'll get a mechanical bond instead of chemical so be sure to prep the surface well.
-Matt. Designer.