which SOT????

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
yakkin
Type of boat I like: sabalo 12

which SOT????

Post by yakkin »

Gday all, new to the forum and looking at building a fishing kayak, currently I am using a Hobie outback mirage drive, great yak but a bit heavy and cumbersum to load on my own, as the better half likes the hobie I thaught this was reason enough to build myself a custom fishing yak with all the fruit. :lol: I have made a list below to help people to steer me in the right direction, thanks in advance.

Requirements:
1, light but strong
2, able to handle choppy/ rough conditions, (maybe a little surf)
3, stable enough to stand in (can do it in the hobie, but the flat floor looks good in the selfmades)
4, able to attatch outriggers and a sail for some recreation
5, feet steer rudder system (if a mirage drive isn't added)
6, I am 5'6" and around 154lbs or 70kg

I am leaning towards the Sabalo 12, does this sound like it would be suited to my requirements?
Cheers Sean. :wink:
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: which SOT????

Post by neon14 »

I'm sure that the Sabalo 12 would work for you. I am totally happy with mine. 12 feet is small enough that it is easy to transport. Last week I told BigMal he was welcome to come by and give my Sabalo a test paddle. You are also welcome anytime :lol:
yakkin

Post by yakkin »

I read that :lol: I'll start pedalling the hobie now. Thanks for the feedback, your build was very inspirational and if I was closer I would deffinately take you up on that paddle. I have been looking into the cedar strip process aswell to try and save a little weight. :wink:
Cheers Sean.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The Sabalo 12 should be able to handle all of those. If you plan on bigger loads on board, look at the 15.

hmmm.... perhaps I need to come up with a 13.5' version to fill the in-between.
-Matt. Designer.
yakkin

Post by yakkin »

Thanks Matt, 13.5 :shock: do it do it, I have been tossing up about the 15 but might be just that bit too long, a 13.5 would be nice I reckon, I like the smaller 12 but really like the idea of the extra option for storage behind the seat on the 15, I'd be a +1 for some 13.5 plans for sure. Sort of makes the decision easy whether to build a 12 or a 15, nah I'll just build the 13.5 :lol:
cheers Sean.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

As Matt has said, the 12 would be ideal if it's just for fishing. If you want to do some long distance touring the extra storage in the 15 will be a bonus.

I built my Sabalo 15 to do the lot - fish, tour, sail. It does all of these with ease. I have been out in some pretty lumpy seas and I've never been afraid of a capsize. Surfing the breakers into shore isn't as scary as in some shorter yaks, and it can handle the sideways wash if you go off track with great stability too.

I'm 5'6" and a bit, and I am very comfortable in mine.

The only drawback is that with all my fittings and customizations mine is a bit heavy at 36 kgs, but still lighter than a Hobie of similar size.

Where are you from? If you are from South Aus you are welcome to come and try mine out. You can see my build at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3426

Cheers.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!