Planning to build a SS&G Northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
snipa
Type of boat I like: Laker+Wadefish+Northwind

Planning to build a SS&G Northwind

Post by snipa »

Hi Matt,
Hope Easter finds you and yours well.

Am interested in building a SS&G Northwind and was advised by Ron Smith(?) TX River Rat that it was possible to get full scale plans for this purpose. However have been unable to locate them or purchase them from the website.

So the questions are:

1. Are they available,

2. How can I acquire them.

3. What are the costs involved.

If they are not available I suspect I will have to get the standard plans and make templates from them, maybe two boats could result. However would rather use full scale plans and only make 1 boat. Will look into a 15' Northwind or Southwind further down the track for the wife.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Cheers John

Sorry to ask here but have sent a pm but no response, if in the wrong place please feel free to move. Hope you are okay over there.
Cheers John
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Planning to build a SS&G Northwind

Post by jem »

sorry. Missed the PM.

On the North wind, it's going to be a lot of paper and the shipping to your end of the pond will not be cheap.

I don't have a set drawn up for patterns yet but I can do it.

Estimate an additional $110 to the cost of the plans. Let me know if you'd like me to firm that number up.
-Matt. Designer.
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the response, expected it to be something like that.

By all means firm up a price and details on how to pay.

Draw at will.

Visa is my preferred method for payment, just need to know where to send the numbers to. Might be best to go to PM's for further discussion at this point.

Cheers John
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Plans are on their way, time to set up shed for building again
Cheers John
Cheers John
snipa

Post by snipa »

Thanks Matt, the plans arrived today, :D much appreciated.

Time now to read through a couple of times, a quick read through the drawings makes one think: Whoa!!! How much have we bitten off here?????? Can we chew it????

Not hard to see why you recommend having a bit of practice first. Should be okay though, since I have read through them once already. Same basic ideas except more panels. The full size plans will simplify things as well.

Should have enough wood as strips in a week or so and construction can commence. All things being equal there should be a new wooden boat in the shed by spring and a couple of plastic boats missing.

Many thanks
Cheers John
Cheers John
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

She's not for the faint of heart! :lol:

You're right.... it's the same process. It will take more time and patience to draw out the panels and cut.

But she's worth it!
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

What type of timber are you going to use John? I'd recommend paulownia but from the timing I guess you've already ordered it.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
snipa

Post by snipa »

Hi Bob,
As luck would have it, I haven't yet. Was going to order tomorrow. Was looking at white pine and WRC. Or just going with white pine and staining my way to glory. White pine is fairly heavy compared to WRC but less than half the price. Weight has been my concern and lack of knowledge, hence the delay in decision making and purchasing

A quick look on Google says lighter than WRC and takes stain well. Seems very interesting, any idea on cost.

Have found a supplier in Mordialloc and will call them tomorrow

Thanks for the heads up
Cheers John

PS. Would you perchance be Labrat on AKFF. Just curious
Cheers John
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

snipa wrote:Would you perchance be Labrat on AKFF.
Where's the cheese? :lol:

That supplier is the one I would have recommended for you. Their prices appear similar to the one I used but I had to pay freight from Qld so that added over $40 to the cost. I bought enough to do the frame of a SOF and the hull of a strip build for about $260 delivered. I reckon you could get away with $200. I went for 19 by 93 DAR but I notice your supplier has 19 by 140 on the list and that could be a better way to go depending on how you plan to cut strips. My preference would be wider boards as there is less set up time and timber waste but you should do the price calculations on each size and see how it comes out. Plan on 5 - 6mm strips and don't forget to allow for saw blade kerf width.

It is difficult to hold the board safely when you get down to the last few strips. Last time I cut some I was resawing tongue and groove WRC and just connected up the next board to act as backing when the one in process became too narrow. I'm sure you'll work something out but just remember that if it doesn't look %100 percent safe then it is probably dangerous - and it's not worth losing fingers, eyes etc over.

I hope you do go with the paulownia as it really will make a superior boat that will be used more often because it won't weigh a ton. Rather than stain it you will find that a few accents with a small amount of WRC will probably give a better look. The contrast between these 2 makes them a striking combination.

Feel free to PM me here or at AKFF if I can be of any help.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
snipa

Post by snipa »

Thanks Bob
Got onto them today, will go down Sat or Mon and check it out and pick some up. Wood is only marginally dearer than White pine so I think I will go with it.

After looking at the plans and nesting I think I may have over calculated how much I need. Worked it out on surface area of 5 sheets of ply. Worked out to be about $350 dollars worth. Looking at the wastage/off-cuts of ply, I probably only need say three sheets worth of strips.

Plan at the moment is to re-calculate and only get a couple of hundred dollars worth for now. The store is local (sort of) and can get more when I have a better idea or whatever to finish the job.

Again thanks for the heads up.
Cheers John
Cheers John