SOT Designs?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
rodbuilder
Type of boat I like: Sit On Top Kayaks

SOT Designs?

Post by rodbuilder »

I am starting down a dangerous road again and need a little shove. I am looking to build a SOT and I am not sure which one. I really like strip built but looking at S&G for this one, I am unable to find a strip built plans.

What I am looking for is a kayak around 15' that can ride up and over the waves on the way out with speed to get where I need to go. Will be using a beach launch sometimes. I really would prefer to stay dry after out of the waves. Looking at a payload that is less than 300lbs in the kayak. Which would be the best design with those requirements.
BigMal
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Re: SOT Designs?

Post by BigMal »

I have the 15-32 wadefish and launch from surf beaches nearly every time ... it behave's itself nicely, is easy to paddle and with a little practice is easy to keep the right way up on surf re-entries.

I have chosen the 15-32 model as I'm a big guy and it is a fishing vessel so carries lots of gear; I needed the load capacity of the wider boat ... carrying me plus fish and gear I reckon it is carrying around 170kg (~375lb) and the water level is still just below (or level with at worst) the top of the scuppers in the cockpit.

If you like the strip built look, but can't find plans, maybe you could think about a SS&G version (strip, stitch & glue) ... basically use strips to make up the panels for the S&G design rather than cutting the panels out of ply.
"Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone" Bruce McLaren
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

the strip stitch and glue is lighter ,stronger and cheaper ,only way I build one now.
Ron
rodbuilder

Post by rodbuilder »

tx river rat wrote:the strip stitch and glue is lighter ,stronger and cheaper ,only way I build one now.
Ron
So how do you go about doing it? Is it 3/4 x 3/8 bead and cove, then glued as a flat panel? How do you keep the holes from pulling out when bending the panels? I have thought of gluing strips to glue panels then using them as a normal S&G but just wondering about hole tear especially. If the panels are pulled hard.

BigMal
How much does your kayak weigh? You got pics or link to build?
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Big Mal
Here is a link to one of my builds that should answer most of your questions.
I use 3/4 by 1/4 strips no bead and cove.
This boat is over 17 ft ,28 inches wide ,and weighs 54 lbs. that is with 6 ounce glass inside and out and double glass on the center top and bottom.
If I can help you anyway holler.
Ron
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3298
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2956
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

I think Ron is sort of the pioneer of the strip and stitch method. He is the first person that I have ever seen build a boat like this.

On my last build I use SS&G on the top half and ply on the bottom. I had no problems with the zip ties and wire pulling through the wood. In fact the wood was very flexible and easy to work with. Actually planed the panels down to 3/16" to match the thickness of the ply I was using on the bottom half of the hull. I butt glued them just like Ron. Put wax paper on top of plywood and stapled the strips down gluing them to each other as I go. I highly recommend building a 16 foot bench about 3 feet high to do this. As your legs and knees will not like the constant getting up and down from the floor for hours. This build method is well worth the effort. You will save a few pounds and will have a gorgeous looking boat. The only reason I didn't build my build my whole boat like this, was in a hurry to finish it. Any part that would be painted I used ply.
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

rodbuilder wrote:How much does your kayak weigh? You got pics or link to build?
I haven't been able to weigh it but I think it is about 30-32kg (65-70lb)all up including hatches, rod holders, rudder and other mounted accessories. This was my first ever build so I could have saved some weight in places, but I opted for the strong/safe approach rather than trying to sve weight.

My build is here ... start from page 2 if wanting pictures.
viewtopic.php?t=3847
rodbuilder

Post by rodbuilder »

I think I have decided on the wadefish 15-32 using cedar strip panels instead if plywood. For those that have built it before, how hard would it be to make it open like the blue fin?
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

rodbuilder wrote:I think I have decided on the wadefish 15-32 using cedar strip panels instead if plywood. For those that have built it before, how hard would it be to make it open like the blue fin?
If you mean the cockpit and tankwell as a single piece, then it should be fairly easy to achieve.